OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm about to start my OW course and like most places I imagine they want me to purchase my own mask, fins and other personal gear. I've done a lot of snorkeling using a cheap US Divers ($30) set from BJ's. It has served me well but I don't want to be at a disadvantage or be unsafe with inferior equipment. I know this isn't a cheap hobby and I have no problem getting the right stuff. Just not sure what the right stuff is. Any recommendations on a beginner set?

ckjacques53198:
Hi, I'm about to start my OW course and like most places I imagine they want me to purchase my own mask, fins and other personal gear. I've done a lot of snorkeling using a cheap US Divers ($30) set from BJ's. It has served me well but I don't want to be at a disadvantage or be unsafe with inferior equipment. I know this isn't a cheap hobby and I have no problem getting the right stuff. Just not sure what the right stuff is. Any recommendations on a beginner set?
I would have to say, simply, there is no such thing as a "beginner's set." Shop around, lots of LDS will match an on-line price. Fit and comfort are very important! Find a mask that fits well, take care of it and you'll likely use it for years to come. Same with fins, snorkel (these are the three items most need for class) and the rest of your gear. Personally, I don't go with the least expensive (you get what you pay for in most cases) I don't pay top dollar for the brand name either. Most of your gear will last a very long time if taken care of properly. Rinsing and proper storage, etc. Don't waste your money on a "trial set." Even if you rent everything else for classes or diving, you'll have a great set up (vs. US Divers) for snorkelling. :crafty:

Your snorkel that you already have will serve you quite nicely, especially if it has a flexible lower section. Rigid snorkels tend to be problematic.

Your mask can possibly seve you as well. As long as it fits and doesn't leak . . .
Some people may try to make an argument about increased pressures at depth and so on, but keep in mind that you're equalizing the pressure inside of your mask as you descend so there is no imminent danger of a horrible, massive, catastrophic "implosion" from water pressure.

Your fins, on the other hand, may not be practical for scuba diving.

Snorkeling fins are designed to propel an unweighted diver and are usually a closed foot style of fin (you didn't specify what type of fin you currently dive).

You'll more than likely be needing to wear wet suit booties and they aren't compatible with full foot fins.

There are several on-line scuba supply companies that can give you some excellent pricing on fins such as Scubatoys.com and Leisurepro.com.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

Safe dives . . . . and
safer ascents

the K

Bring the stuff you have to either a LDS or your first OW class and just ask if it will work. Then talk to them there and see what you need to replace.

Unless you have a real good pair of closed heel fins you usually will have to get some open heal fins. Shop around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom