OW class in sidemount: remove/replace and ditchable weight skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelMc

Working toward Cenotes
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When, Padi, OW is taught in sidemount, I'm curious if the OW 'scuba kit' remove/replace is interpreted as sidemount cylinder(s) remove/replace?

Padi OW can be taught concurrent with sidemount. The sidemount confined water skills are integrated anytime during the OW class confined water, and sidemount dive 1 skills are integrated into OW dives 2 - 4.

Sidemount cylinder r/r is fairly different from backmount BC r/r. One cylinder is simple, two at the same time is a bit more complex, unless you rest one on the bottom. Removing the harness would be entertaining. What does 'scuba kit' include?

It seems like there's a non-restriction sidemount assumption that the harness is not coming off in most any circumstance short of ditching it. Yet backmount BC remove/replace is an OW class skill and handy.

The 'emergency weight drop' skill with the 'system's quick release' to become 'positively buoyant' doesn't seem to have an elegant and streamlined solution in sidemount designs, without widening the waist under the tanks. There is also a remove and replace 'all or part' of your weight system skill.

No big reason for asking; a podcast made me think of the match of sidemount and OW class skills. The other skills seem unaffected, beyond 'resecure a loose cylinder band' being easier with a cam band.

It can be a challenge. When I teach OW in SM, I do the first 2 CW sessions in single tank backmount. That is useful in case the student ever ends up dealing with a conventional rec setup, either for themselves or a buddy.

After that, I do all the SM CW sessions and OW dives. The RAID syllabus states that the remove/replace skills etc may be modified or omitted if the gear is not conducive (eg doing OW in CCR makes some of the skills pretty tricky to do). I try to make the training as practically focused as possible while avoiding skipping out too many things which the student may need later.

i am interested in how various agencies standards have been developed to handle these type scenarios. SSI currently does not allow the use of SM by the student or by the instructor in entry level programs.

It can be a challenge. When I teach OW in SM, I do the first 2 CW sessions in single tank backmount. That is useful in case the student ever ends up dealing with a conventional rec setup, either for themselves or a buddy.

After that, I do all the SM CW sessions and OW dives. The RAID syllabus states that the remove/replace skills etc may be modified or omitted if the gear is not conducive (eg doing OW in CCR makes some of the skills pretty tricky to do). I try to make the training as practically focused as possible while avoiding skipping out too many things which the student may need later.
Interesting! I was wondering how you ensure a new OW diver could do backmount if trained sidemount.

Next thing you know there'll be a Backmount card you can get if initially trained sidemount. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom