OW check out dives- best location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXreefer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. From DFW. The last lake dives I did in Texas was my certification dives in 1995. We travel to the Caribbean mostly.

My father wants to get certified and I was wondering the best place locally to do the OW dives- clear springs, blue lagoon, or another?!

Thanks, TB

San Solomon Springs at Balmorhea State park is 470 miles from there, but such a nice training site: huge pool with cement banks but natural bottom & springs, clear water usually around 72F, 20 feet deep, hot showers in the dressing rooms, nice motel on site, a short drive to town for cafes. West Texas instructors love it, but your Dallas instructors probably won't go that far.

There is a shallow quarry in Athens with a scuba park your local instructors probably like better.

Clear Springs or Athens unless you want to drive to Balmorhea which is very nice.

Hello all. From DFW. The last lake dives I did in Texas was my certification dives in 1995. We travel to the Caribbean mostly.

My father wants to get certified and I was wondering the best place locally to do the OW dives- clear springs, blue lagoon, or another?!

Thanks, TB

Talk to International Scuba in Carrollton they go to New Braunfels where the water is 75.

Talk to International Scuba in Carrollton they go to New Braunfels where the water is 75.

I am assuming you are referring to the Comal. I am curious if instructors are certifying OW students at this site. I was there about three months ago hoping to find a new site to conduct my checkout dives during the colder months for my students however the deepest spot I was able to find was 12'. That is a bit short, at least to NAUI standards as I understand them. Is anyone using this site for checkouts?

Yes they are. A buddy of mine went in the Comal recently .He was there for his OW cert.
Temps in the Comal were @70, but Lk. Travis is still cold @55. I think Clear Springs must be in the 50s as well. Anyone been there lately?

I am assuming you are referring to the Comal. I am curious if instructors are certifying OW students at this site. I was there about three months ago hoping to find a new site to conduct my checkout dives during the colder months for my students however the deepest spot I was able to find was 12'. That is a bit short, at least to NAUI standards as I understand them. Is anyone using this site for checkouts?

I was certified there by a NAUI instructor. It's their "last choice" as far as sites but there aren't really a lot of options in the winter. Numerous people in 5 ml suits were still pretty cold there as the outside temp was 60's and water temp was 69. I can't imagine people who are already nervous checking out in even colder water/temps like clear springs etc. this time of year. (My waterpoof 3.5mm was toasty warm with no hood in and out of the water though.)

I have definitely seen OW cert dives in the comal. I was a little surprised that you can get certified in 10 ft of water, but apparently so. It's a decent dive spot if your alternatives are Medina lake and the San Antonio River.

I have only floated the Comal a couple of times, but if it's only 10 ft deep, I have to wonder?

San Salomon springs near Balmorhea is great if you can get an Instructor to go there, or train at home then get a referral to a local Instructor for there. There is a dive shop just outside of the park. The deepest spring fed cave in the US is 4 miles further, but hardly anyone can get to it - locked up to protect endangered fish and keep untrained divers out of the cave. Diver explores deep West Texas spring | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom