Overpressure Relief valve source for DIY Canister ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zebu14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am currently designing a DIY Canister for light/heating.
I want to add a pressure relief valve in case of a battery gas leak (commercial canisters usually put this kind of valve)

Do you know where I can find them ?

Thank you

Hello,

I want to add a pressure relief valve in case of a battery gas leak (commercial canisters usually put this kind of valve)
Why? You using special batteries?
I Have used an Allen screw and oring, as a small vent plug, more if there is a negative vacuum, and can't get the lid open

Hello,

Do you know where I can find them ?

Thank you
you can machine in a port plug hole for a scuba regulator and put an OPV in there or if you have a boot switch on the lid like most of them then then that will act as pressure relief

I'll use Li-Ion batteries.
I thought about the OPV for regulator, it's an idea.
I was just wondering where the actual relief valves that we can find on canisters were sold... ?

You can easily find DeepSea valves (essentially made for ROV or deep missions) but they are even more expensive than a canister... ! (not suitable for our use)

I'll use Li-Ion batteries.
I thought about the OPV for regulator, it's an idea.
I was just wondering where the actual relief valves that we can find on canisters were sold... ?

You can easily find DeepSea valves (essentially made for ROV or deep missions) but they are even more expensive than a canister... ! (not suitable for our use)
Most of the canisters have their relief valves as part of the boot switches or external charge ports that are designed to blow if the canister experiences too much positive pressure, they're not actual relief valves more like relief devices since they are one time use.

I'd venture to guess that one relief valve linked above is "water resistant", not "waterproof" (submergence)....

Those two have very different meaning...

Product has a "breathable membrane". Thinking dust, dirt, spiders, humidity, rain/snow, but not submerged...

Most of the canisters have their relief valves as part of the boot switches or external charge ports that are designed to blow if the canister experiences too much positive pressure, they're not actual relief valves more like relief devices since they are one time use.
That's what I was thinking about at first : "are they relief valve or are they rupture discs".
Seems that they are maybe more rupture discs than "valve"

Basically I would say the only main reason to have a relief valve is because the light floods at depth.. that will build pressure as you surface or open it,,,
How often do these canisters flood?
If the latches hold, it should be no big deal, might wreck the oring, and and serious pressure probably will extrude the oring out of the gap,
Personally it's another leak point

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom