Overnight in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys

Im going to have an evening overnight in transit for a next day morning flight. Just wanted to get some advice on what would be the best way for me to get a first time glimpse of manila. Ive narrowed down a couple of places in Ermita close to the Robinson Mall and its near the foreshore. Though my research says it is in a seedy area - what am I to expect? Is Robinsons open weeknights and until what time. Im not interested in nightlife just want to do a brief sight-see and shopping.

Also my next flight out from airport is 10.40 am so imagine I need to be there by 9am. What's the traffic jam situation. What time do I need to leave? Or should I just do plan B and stay near pasay area to avoid morning jams?

That said - anyone on this board live locally near Manila want to meet up with a diver from oz, show me around or hangout for the evening pleaes do get in touch!

Thanks

Last edited:
Stay at the Lotus Garden. It is a very safe hotel. Ermita is a good place.....too much bad press makes it sound bad. The mall closes at 2100 hrs. (I think). There is everything you need close by (to include the AQUAVENTURE WHITETIP SCUBA Supply store). Have a blast there. You can get everything you would ever need right there. Have a blast!!

Hey Thanks Babydamulag, so how long will I expect to get to the airport from Ermita to reach there at 9 in the morning? Do I need to leave at 7 am?

Ermita is perfectly fine with me but do be very careful when using some of those money changing places!!!! A very good one is just opposite the 7/11 on Mabini Street, a block from Robinson.
Swagman on Flores Street offer free airport pick up and drop off, the room is a bit dated but safe.

Makati is a nice area...good malls (greenbelt), and a nice selection of bars and restaurants to suit every taste. I think that there is a lot more to see and do in Makati, comparted with Ermita.

The 'Howzat' Inn is awesome...both for food, accomodation and price (1000 pesos a night).

If you want shopping, get a taxi to Greenhills. The indoor market there is full of bargain designer clothes etc.

I used to stay in the Makati area in either the Shangri-la or the Manila Penisula. Both hotels operate a car service which is very resonable to get you to/from the airport. I suggest leaving the hotel 3 hours before your flight...45 minutes to get there and the rest of the time to go through immigration, security, ticketing/checkin, etc...you'll see what I mean when you get there.
As for the hotels and malls. the two hotels I mentioned are right across From Glorietta Mall and Greenbelt Mall is also within walking distance. It'll take you all day just to walk through both malls, much longer if you do any shopping.

Enjoy your stay...it's hard not too.

If you're planning to stay in Ermita and intend to be at the airport by 9 am the next day, you can leave your hotel at 8 am and still be at the airport by 9 as most of the traffic is northbound, while you on the other hand is southbound. The Pan Pacific Hotel is also a good option and its just short walking distance to the Ermita Night Life establishments

I can second heritage hotel, close to airport taking about 15-20mins usually with normal traffic. Hotel is nice, reasonably priced, and in evening the bellboys can get you taxis with good prices set before you leave so no rip off merchants. Its close to a big mall (mall of asia i think), with good selection of restaurants.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, heritage seems pricey for just overnighter with rooms from 5000PS. I dont need luxury just clean and comfort. My budget is really up to 3000PS for the night.

I found Kabayan and Mabuhay Manor in pasay that have good reviews, Kabayan seems a lot cheaper and good value for o/nighter

Staying around Malate or Ermita sounds good for the atmosphere but If its going to take an hour to get to Airport from Ermita I the morning I might as well stay in pasay and take a taxi in to downtown for the evening?

If I go Ermita how much is taxi through and from airport?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom