Over Under Shots - Options for accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobajay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, I use a GoPro Hero3 and Hero4 Black both with Flip 3.1 dive filters. I really love over under shots and have been looking for something affordable to capture these. A couple of manufacturers make domes that fit over your GoPro (the basic idea is to create more space in front of the lens in order to displace the water and get a clear shot above the surface and below at the same time). The price range is $250 to $1000+.

I'm wondering if a macro lens could potentially create the same effect?? They are usually dome shaped, but does water flow in and around them? If that's not a possibility, does anyone know of a bootleg way to create over under shots without a pricey accessory?

Won't work with the macro lens.

I've been able to take over/under stills holding the camera vertically and using the burst photo mode. Out of 10 pictures, 1 or 2 come out ok... The surface line isn't as sharp as when using a dome.

Here is a shot from the Philippines last year, taken as I mentioned above:

10482322_10203922586767213_1394225779121317156_o.jpg

Ahhh..I see! Thanks! I've been able to capture some decent stills from the video but you're right, the water line isn't super defined.

How was the Philippines? I'm headed to Palawan next year!

You can also stictch together 2 subsequent photos on a photoeditor (GIMP) and make that line thinner... The trained I can see the edit, but still looks good.

edit: Tilt the camera down a little bit and use the good-old "spit and dunk" method to make sure there aren't droplets on the flat port.

Philippines was great, spent almost 1.5 months there. Palawan is nice but places like El Nido got touristy too fast - lots of boats, people, bad food, and every other bad thing related to mass tourism. I enjoyed my time in Cebu (Moaboal and around) and Siargao the most, it's much less popular and equally (if not more) pretty. Did not dive much, only on the Coron wrecks and once in Pescador Island (Moalboal) - was coming from Komodo and was spoiled by the diving there. Food is great if you take the time to learn about what to order.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom