Over moderating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the specific issue in that thread, but I strongly agree that this website is often too heavy-handed in post deletion without warning. Warning users or locking threads is one thing, but straight up deleting people's posts just because the discussion is drifting off topic or someone said something forceful feels gross and makes threads confusing. Especially when it's applied inconsistently.

I guess it maintains a nice appearance of civility though.

I'm relatively new here and definitely not trying to start a fight with the mods, but I've moderated on other similar forums and was sort of surprised at what qualifies for deletion on scubaboard. I would be interested to hear their perspective on this and/or have a civil discussion about it.

Feel free to critique my moderating, however, you'll not be able to maligne another member in the process

I don't know the specific issue in that thread, but I strongly agree that this website is often too heavy-handed in post deletion without warning. Warning users or locking threads is one thing, but straight up deleting people's posts just because the discussion is drifting off topic or someone said something forceful feels gross and makes threads confusing. Especially when it's applied inconsistently.

I guess it maintains a nice appearance of civility though.

I'm relatively new here and definitely not trying to start a fight with the mods, but I've moderated on other similar forums and was sort of surprised at what qualifies for deletion on scubaboard. I would be interested to hear their perspective on this and/or have a civil discussion about it.

We'd be interested in having a civil discussion too.

Please feel free to review other threads under this subforum for potential edification and personally, I'd appreciate your comments on any specific threads that you note in the future.

Feel free to critique my moderating, however, you'll not be able to maligne another member in the process
Over moderating said members threads is doing them a disservice. It gives the impression that it is coming from them and sets up the attacks. I have no issues with that member, you can go back and see that I participated in the thread and tried to give sincere advice. I have no other interactions with them. I did feel that the level of your involvement was not inline with other threads. If you feel a need to protect them and are acting in your role as a moderator to that end you should remove yourself and have someone else that is more impartial take over. Coming into the thread you asked be created separate from the original thread and continue to moderate it is out of line, have someone else do that who is not involved.

participate or moderate. Like it or not you are a participant in this thread.

I've seen Pete repeatedly claim that moderation is done almost exclusively after someone reports a post. That means that SOMEONE was upset enough by whatever got posted to ask for help...

mods who deleted my other post in this thread, honest question, what does "offside very offside" (given as the reason for post deletion) mean in this context? I'm legitimately trying not to break rules, especially in this thread while we're talking about it.

Is the rule basically "nothing that even remotely criticizes other sb members'? If so I disagree, but so be it. As long as it's clearly stated.

I know this post could be read as sarcastic or condescending but I mean it sincerely.

Over moderating said members threads is doing them a disservice. It gives the impression that it is coming from them and sets up the attacks. I have no issues with that member, you can go back and see that I participated in the thread and tried to give sincere advice. I have no other interactions with them. I did feel that the level of your involvement was not inline with other threads. If you feel a need to protect them and are acting in your role as a moderator to that end you should remove yourself and have someone else that is more impartial take over. Coming into the thread you asked be created separate from the original thread and continue to moderate it is out of line, have someone else do that who is not involved.

I will agree that it was not in line with normal moderation. Regardless, everyone was warned and as at October 18th, things were good in the thread. Then by no fault of his own, another member reading from more than a month ago responded with a post that stirred up old info. We shouldn't have to keep remoderating for the same issue month after month, year after year. The mod post from Oct 18, tells the story.

From there, you should be able to ascertain what happened even if you can't see the posts that were deleted.

And no warning? With respect, how many warnings should posters need?

Back
Top Bottom