Over 40 Eyesight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabat

Contributor
Reaction score
Along time ago I was watching Magnum PI. Magnum was in a hotel room reading some documents and was wearing eyeglasses. Higgins pops in, Magnum quickly removes the glasses and hides them. After a discussion and as Higgins is leaving the room, he turns and says "by the by Magnum, everyone's eyes start to go at 40".

I always wondered if Higgins was right and, well, 4 years ago, my near vision started to go. Now when I am underwater, the LCD on the camera is hard to see clearly. The result is I am not getting the sharp focus on my pictures. Its about 50 - 50 now whether I get a subject focused shot. I can see the indicator cross and dot for focus but on the small stuff it is hard to determine if I am focused on the subject or on something in the background.

I have tried holding the camera farther away but the 1.5 inch screen gets fairly small at arms length. I got a cheap plastic magnifying glass but until I grow another arm or train an octopus to assist me its not working.

Anyone else in the same "waters" that has come up with a solution other than another camera with a larger LCD? I am considering prescription lenses for my mask (I wear contacts u/w now) and various alternate wild ideas (magnifying glass mount, either camera or mask as and example).

My vision is fine u/w for all other purposes, its only the photography that is affected. The eye doc said there is no specific problem with my vision and actually said the same thing as Higgins (without the accent).

S&S 3000G is the camera.

The simplest solution is corrective lenses in your mask. There are plenty of threads discussing various types.
I just bought a cheap pair of reading glasses and siliconed the lenses into the bottom of each of my mask lenses.
Lets me see the camera display, compass and computer & watch gauges too.

Been there....still dealing with it! Prescriptions lenses will help tremendously. Sea Vision sells masks with your RX ground into the lenses, no glueing. I have far vision and bifocals in mine. Beast has a pair with just the readers/bifocals. You can also get the stick on bifocal lenses, most dive shops sell them. You just need to know the strength you need.

My current mask is a couple years old and my eyes have changed since then so I need a new one. But I bought one of the new LCD magnifyers for my Oly PT-15 housing. Tried it out yesterday and it's great! I don't know/think anyone makes one for the S&S housings.

I'd suggest an RX mask.

Corrective lenses in the mask are good or contacts if you wear them. After having a student offer to hold my slates so I could read them in the pool I started wearing contacts. However, my eye doctor recommended single day disposable lenses to avoid water contaminating the lenses and causing no end of problems. Works pretty well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom