Our World Underwater video competition and film festival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePhotoGuide

Contributor
Reaction score
This past weekend we presented the winning short films of The 4th annual Wetpixel & DivePhotoGuide International Underwater Photo & Video Competition, in association with Our World Underwater.

There were two video categories (General & Conservation). The winning videos are really superb.

We congratulate all of the winners and participants.

Almost all of the winning vidoes are up already, there is one or two that will be going up this week:

The 4th annual Wetpixel & DivePhotoGuide International Underwater Photo & Video Competition, in association with Our World Underwater.

Wow!!!! Fabulous stuff.....both still and videos.

My favorite still photo is "Moma Octo with babies"....Wow, freakin' amazing shot! Every square centimeter of that photo is interesting.

I gotta say, as far as the Video General category, I liked the Bronze medal winner better than the Gold medal. Several reasons, mostly that the "Last Sardine" was only telling a story about a single thing, allthough really cool, slow motion and upclose, with distance shots all mixed together, it began to wear on me. I liked it alot but wouldn't watch it over and over.
The Bronze medal winner "The Way of the Water" was much better from start to finish for me and I would, and will, watch it over and over. Beautiful visually and so many different interesting images, critters, with thoughtful narration, and not repetitive. That to me is GREAT video. :D
Just my 2 cents....:D

robin:D

I liked both winning entries, general and conservation. The general winner had outstanding footage, especially the slow motion capture. Reminded me of what you see on discovery channel. A mixture of entertainment and education. The Way of the Water was a little too high school science documentary style for me.

But then again, this is my opinion as a viewer watching for entertainment oppossed to judging for a contest. The documentary with science narration style is what wins most contests.

I liked both winning entries, general and conservation. The general winner had outstanding footage, especially the slow motion capture. Reminded me of what you see on discovery channel. A mixture of entertainment and education. The Way of the Water was a little too high school science documentary style for me.

But then again, this is my opinion as a viewer watching for entertainment oppossed to judging for a contest. The documentary with science narration style is what wins most contests.

I agree with you - both of the TOP winners should have won, all I am saying is that the "Last Sardine" didn't appeal to me at all. It was outstanding, once-in-a-lifetime footage, well put together, well thought out, but kinda sterile and emotionless to me. It was very much like some of the films on Discovery Channel which to me are flashy and slick, no heart. I enjoy watching them but many of them leave me cold. Just my eye.....:wink:

No problem, we all have our own opinions and preferences.

Who are you diving with in Coz ? Will you have a new cam/housing for the trip ?

No problem, we all have our own opinions and preferences.

Who are you diving with in Coz ? Will you have a new cam/housing for the trip ?

Scuba Club Cozumel is where we are staying and diving. Might run over to PDC to do cenotes one day but haven't decided yet. Ron just got himself a new dslr with housing, ports, lenses, etc. which was big $$$$ so no new HD camcorder for me for now. I have another SD camcorder to use for topside videos. So that is all I will have to share for now. Poverty sucks. :depressed:

For now I am reloading and re-editing my older videos, trying to learn more about my software and put them on Vimeo in the larger, higher quality format. I have finished Bonaire, now working on my Palau footage, hope to redo some older Calif and Kona footage in next few months........ at least it is some way to quench my artistic urges. :D

So is your next dive trip Galapagos or do you have something in the works to share??? I saw your Grand Cayman video and thought it looked very nice. Was that with the smaller camcorder and housing? What are your assessments? Please share.

I haven't been to Coz since before the big hurricane. I keep reading mixed reviews about the status of the reef. The cenotes is on my to do list. Have you considered renting a system ?

I have Galapagos in the summer. Planning on doing the Manateess in Crystal River soon. Will also probably sneak in a few long weekend trips here and there.

Grand Cayman was a very nice short trip. After digging out 12" of snow the last 2 days I'm ready to go back. Haven't got the housing for my HV10 yet. So all the UW footage was with my FX7. Topside was all HV10.

I haven't been to Coz since before the big hurricane. I keep reading mixed reviews about the status of the reef. The cenotes is on my to do list. Have you considered renting a system ?

I have Galapagos in the summer. Planning on doing the Manateess in Crystal River soon. Will also probably sneak in a few long weekend trips here and there.

Grand Cayman was a very nice short trip. After digging out 12" of snow the last 2 days I'm ready to go back. Haven't got the housing for my HV10 yet. So all the UW footage was with my FX7. Topside was all HV10.

yeah, we haven't been to Coz since 2004! Ron still compares everywhere we go to it so we have to go back. It will be a good place for him to learn the new rig since SCC has unlimited shore diving in addition to the other dives.
No need to rent a rig for the trip, I will be his fish spotter like I was most of the CCV trip. I really haven't decided what I want yet and with a shortage of $$, it is easier to wait. We are still waiting to hear if Ron's job contract is going to get renewed or if he is job shopping this summer, too. Lots of reasons NOT to buy right now.

Can't wait to see more of your videos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom