Trip Report Our 12 day stay with Nautika Alor (September 2024)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DK_Scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My partner and I are experienced divers from Vancouver island and we just returned from a trip to Nautika dive resort in Alor Indonesia.

TLDR

Travel: 2/10
Food: 8/10
Accommodations: 10/10
Staff: 10/10
Diving: 9/10

Now to the nitty gritty of it all.

Travel: This was the 1 aspect of our trip that may prevent us from returning. Our initial 2 flights to Singapore then Jakarta went smoothly, however once we got onto Batik air for our 3rd and 4th flight it all fell apart. Both of these flight we fully boarded only to sit on the plane a hour before returning to the terminal due to mechanical issues both of which led to long delays. Then on our final approach of Alor we had to abort the flight due to turbulence (we felt no turbulence in the plane) and returned all the way back to Kupang before waiting for 2 hours and trying again. Unfortunately I believe Batik air is the only option getting into Alor so there is no way to avoid the company itself.

Accommodations: However once we landed in Alor the trip was a dream. Nautika's taxi driver was waiting front and center of the airport with welcome treats and gifts for everyone and we were whisked off to the resort! The resort itself was beautiful, the picturesque blue and what villas and shop look look like a tribute to Greek islands along with the plentiful seating areas and large lawn out front it was a great place to wind down after a day of diving. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was spotless every day coming in from diving. The cleaners would even fold our dirty laundry each day! They also had a separate gear room and electronics room for guests to store gear and charge their cameras.

Food: The food at Nautika was also excellent. It was all Indonesian cuisine and done very well. From fish, beef and chicken curries and stirfrys to a different hot soup at every meal we definitely never went hungry. My favorite was the homemade baked goods out every day during the lunch time snack (they also serve them on our surface intervals on the boat, yum!)

Staff: The staff once again were excellent, I don't think I ever saw any of them with less then a smile and genuine want to help us out. Kadek the resort manager especially went above and beyond planning everything with us (I also planned a surprise engagement to my now fiancé at Nautika and it went very well). The Dive staff tended to us very well and our guide Egy was a genuine wonder of the world with his eagle eyes spotting every small nudi and pipefish!

Diving: We did 24 dives during our stay with Nautika and wish we could've done 24 more! Our first day started out with a superpod of dolphins leading us to our first dive site of the trip Munaseli! The dive sites varied widely Munaseli is the most famous site in Alor due to the hammerhead sightings and whilst we never got to see them we say plentiful reef sharks and rays at this site. Munaseli is also Alor's only hook dive site so if you like the feeling of being a kite in the current then its for you! Some other highlights were Bama wall where we saw an Oceanic Sunfish and Apuri Bay with its pygmy seahorses. If you are a coral lover this is probably the best you can get. It is Raja Ampat without the liveaboard fever. The islands also offer fantastic muck diving at sights like Bakalang Jetty and Mucky Mosque where we saw plentiful frog fish, pipefish, blue ring octopus and rhinopieas.

All in all Alor is a must see island despite the tough travel to get there!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241023-225411.png
    Screenshot_20241023-225411.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 26
Good & informative report! Quite timely too as I am heading to Alor in December.

Congratulations for your engagement! Seems like the perfect time & place for announcing the surprise engagement to your fiancée.

My first time to Alor, back in 2012, was also in September and was greeted by super pod of dolphins.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with Batik Air. I’ll be flying with Lion Air, which is in the same fleet as Batik Air.

I hope I’ll be so lucky to see Oceanic Mola Mola too there in December trip.

Currently in Alor, trip report to follow, but the short version is this place is hard to get to but worth it.

I think the resorts have a contract with the pod leader to appear on the first dive of every group. I have been three times and each time the dolphins have appeared on the first day and no other time!

Currently in Alor, trip report to follow, but the short version is this place is hard to get to but worth it.

I think the resorts have a contract with the pod leader to appear on the first dive of every group. I have been three times and each time the dolphins have appeared on the first day and no other time!
Ha ha! That’s very interesting! I have never seen such huge pod anywhere else.

Haha same here! We did see a few dolphins here and there throughout the trip but day 1 was the only super pod

I went to Alor and stayed at Nautika for 10days ~14mo ago. It was fantastic. Crew, resort, diving. I got a bit lucky as another woman was there for months and while it was great she didnt see as many 'special' things as I did. But as soon as she left we started seeing the good stuff... like a big school of hammerheads, huge blue marlin...

I plan to go back in the spring. I am very glad to hear the food is now top notch... that was the one minor complaint of the early reviews, but from following their IG feed it does look like they kicked it up a notch.

For the person who is going there in December... this surprises me... the season closes Nov-Apr I believe.

RE depth and temp.. generally a 5mm suit is desired... or a 3/5. Gear is included so you could bring a 3mm and bring or borrow a vest. I had my vest and my 3mm but sometimes I borrowed their 5mm. As a newer (and top notch) resort their gear is excellent. Most sites you can go a bit deep (30M+) but most guides dont dive nitrox. I did the whole trip... except one dive my nitrox tank was 1/2 empty (only issue in 25 dives) but that happened to be the dive with the school of hammerheads. My guide gave me his (air) tank and I went with the other group. I still couldnt go down to see the hammers face to face (they were prob 35M+) but we all hung out at 28M until too many computers beeped and we went up.

Some sites are pretty chilly (22-24C) like the jetty. And the more northern sites can be chilly. Overall most were 26-28C I think... 3mm is fine for a lot but even with a 3mm+vest I got cold on a few dives.

Anyway, its a spectacular place. DONT TELL ANYONE! SHHHH. I really hope the effort to get there keeps the crowds away.

You CAN take a public ferry to/from Kupang... it takes longer (5hrs) and goes on alternate days (one day / one way) but it's clean, luggage is very cheap, and it is reliable. I would personally do that next time. As the staff at Nautika to arrange it. No matter what it is +1 day to come/go...

Say HI for me.

Hello @Darnold9999

I am travelling to Alor in a week's time. Please advise re range of water temps at depth (I am planning ahead for thermal protection).

Thank you and safe travels.
It is not always this way, but know Alor can be very cold. My last time there outside of the muck diving in the bay, every site was around 22/72 and down to 16/61. I was dreadfully unprepared with a 3mml and 1mm hood. I am fully a warm water whimp, and It sucked. I will never do Alor again without a 5mm, 3mm hooded vest, and extra shorty to layer on top.

I went to Alor and stayed at Nautika for 10days ~14mo ago. It was fantastic. Crew, resort, diving. I got a bit lucky as another woman was there for months and while it was great she didnt see as many 'special' things as I did. But as soon as she left we started seeing the good stuff... like a big school of hammerheads, huge blue marlin...

I plan to go back in the spring. I am very glad to hear the food is now top notch... that was the one minor complaint of the early reviews, but from following their IG feed it does look like they kicked it up a notch.

For the person who is going there in December... this surprises me... the season closes Nov-Apr I believe.

RE depth and temp.. generally a 5mm suit is desired... or a 3/5. Gear is included so you could bring a 3mm and bring or borrow a vest. I had my vest and my 3mm but sometimes I borrowed their 5mm. As a newer (and top notch) resort their gear is excellent. Most sites you can go a bit deep (30M+) but most guides dont dive nitrox. I did the whole trip... except one dive my nitrox tank was 1/2 empty (only issue in 25 dives) but that happened to be the dive with the school of hammerheads. My guide gave me his (air) tank and I went with the other group. I still couldnt go down to see the hammers face to face (they were prob 35M+) but we all hung out at 28M until too many computers beeped and we went up.

Some sites are pretty chilly (22-24C) like the jetty. And the more northern sites can be chilly. Overall most were 26-28C I think... 3mm is fine for a lot but even with a 3mm+vest I got cold on a few dives.

Anyway, its a spectacular place. DONT TELL ANYONE! SHHHH. I really hope the effort to get there keeps the crowds away.

You CAN take a public ferry to/from Kupang... it takes longer (5hrs) and goes on alternate days (one day / one way) but it's clean, luggage is very cheap, and it is reliable. I would personally do that next time. As the staff at Nautika to arrange it. No matter what it is +1 day to come/go...

Say HI for me.
I believe they got a new head chef in this year. Everything was very good 😊.

Back
Top Bottom