OTS Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just got an OTS Guardian and tried it out in the pool for the first time. Everything was great, but since I have a beard, I had a regular stream of bubbles coming out of the face mask and despite trying to reposition it and adjust straps multiple times, I couldn’t get the stream of bubbles to stop. Most of the bubbling was when I would look down - if I looked forward (in horizontal position) they would virtually cease. Any tips/help to avoid this? I really don’t want to be wasting air throughout a dive and I’d rather not shave the beard (which I have just grown this year).

I ordered a full face mask hood in hopes that this will alleviate the problem, even though diving a hood in the tropics this winter will be somewhat odd.

Thanks for any help!

Gerry

You bought a FFM so that you could dive with a beard?

A beard will exacerbate the problem. If your beard is the important part of this equation, dive a normal mask and either trim right at the top of your mustache area, or commit to putting a little vaseline or similar in the same area. I guess you could vaseline your whole beard in an effort to make it leak proof, but that seems excessive.

Personally I just trim at the top of my mustache and it’s leak free. If it doesn’t leak when you look forward, great, you should be diving in proper horizontal trim anyway.

No, I didn’t buy a FFM so I could dive with a beard. I actually had been evaluating them for almost a year before I actually bought one. Only had the beard for a few months.

In any event, there were many many posts I read that a FFM is actually effective a preventing leaks with beards. While that
may be true (it was dry) I did get air leaking out. That’s what I’m trying to find is if there is anything else I should try to prevent the air from escaping the mask.

Beard is 1/2” or so.

Gerry

OTS Guardians have (per their description) a slightly positive pressure regulator, so I'm not surprised you are seeing some bubbling since the beard area seal is likely going to be imperfect.

Sensitivity may be related to the profile of and how taught your cheek/jaw area is as you rotate your neck. Does it bubble the same when you are vertical and looking straight ahead? How about up when vertical?

JD -

Primarily was bubbling when looking downward - when I looked straight ahead or up a little, bubbling virtually stopped. I will se how the FFM hood works. Not against shaving, but I'd rather not.

I don't think I'd use a product like Vaseline with rubber or plastic parts. Over time it might degrade the seal.

A small stream of bubbles is not likely to effect your air to the extent it will shorten your dive, especially if you adhere to the "surface with 500psi" rule. It will be more of an annoyance than anything else. On almost every vacation dive with rental tanks, you will see numerous o ring leaks or leaking hoses. The actual volume of air lost is minimal.

My wife had a high pressure hose spring a leak at the beginning of a dive. We just decided to continue but stay a little closer. Despite having a 20cf smaller tank, and a leak, she still came up with more air than I did (which is usual).

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom