OTS Comms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbzep

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few questions related to comms before we request bids. I've done a lot of reading, but most people only have experience with one or the other in each of these categories, not both. I'd really like to have input from folks that have experience with both aspects of each question.

1. Hot Mic vs Super Mic. From what I've read, Hot Mic is the way to go for better sound quality. It is my understanding that if we dive to any depth and remove the mask, the Hot Mic will be ok. However, if someone kicks the mask off the deck or boat and it drops 15 ft, the mic will be ruined. Is this correct? We practice removing the mask and going to alternate air regularly so we need to make sure the Hot Mic can handle it. Is there enough difference in sound quality to go with the Hot Mic or would a PSD be better off with a more robust Super Mic?

2. Comm rope. A few vendors I've looked at sell both 8mm and 10mm 4 wire comm rope. Is there any reason we should go with one over the other? We are a rural dept. and only average a couple operations a year at the moment. The bulk of the wear and tear will be from training. I don't like the idea of tying knots in it regardless of size, if that factors in the decision. We plan to use wraps instead of tying loops.

3. The Mk-7 is rated at 2w vs the large boxes at 20w. We plan to run 100-150 ft comm/tethers. Is the Mk-7 full duplex with all attached divers? Does the Mk-7 work well with Y adapter and 3 divers attached?

4. Wireless option. The upside is that we can use it without being tethered when required. Downsides, PTT only, and transmission quality. Our clearest body of water has only about 6 ft visibility on a good day, at least in the areas I've dived. It's about 55 ft at its deepest point. I've been deployed to farm ponds with zero visibility. How much will the thermoclines and water clarity affect the wireless units? What are other advantages/disadvantages to wireless? Are there issues with battery life or other issues with the mask units and topside gear?

Last edited:
Sorry to come back so late on your post...

1. don't know
2. choose a rope for the traction resistance and the easiest one to dry and roll
3. no problem with 70m tethers (+/- 200 ft), full duplex
never tried with an Y adapter...
4. never been very pleased of the OTS wireless, much more quality with tethers + MK7 (much more security in operations, too)

weak point of the MK7 : battery connector (users don't care when they open the unit, battery falls.... and you have to re-solder the cable on the board or replace the connector)
in fact, the weak point is the user, not trained enough.... :banghead:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom