Osprey House, Grand Turk in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was planning a trip for May to Grand Turk. Was planning on staying at Osprey House and diving with Oasis. I did a search and found out good things about Grand Turk, Osprey House Hotel and Oasis Divers but don't know how current any of that is? Doc V had some great comments, as usual. Good diving on GT?

Could someone tell me if they've been to GT, Osprey House or Oasis Divers lately and how they would rate them? Water temp in May, restaurants close by, price etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

This place must REALLY be off the beaten path? Anyway, anyone gonna be there May 5th to 12th? Any info on the diving in Grand Turk now would be apprecaited. Things to see, to avoid,etc? Anyone know the Osprey Beach House Hotel lately?

We'll be going in a couple weeks to Grank Turk, March 15-22nd, diving with Oasis and staying at Island House. I'll let you know after I return how the trip was. Doesn't sound like there's much on the island but that's OK. I really enjoyed Cayman Brac and there wasn't much there either, but the diving and the dive operator (Divi Tiara) were GREAT!

Amy WJ:
We'll be going in a couple weeks to Grank Turk, March 15-22nd, diving with Oasis and staying at Island House. I'll let you know after I return how the trip was. Doesn't sound like there's much on the island but that's OK. I really enjoyed Cayman Brac and there wasn't much there either, but the diving and the dive operator (Divi Tiara) were GREAT![/QUOTE

I'd be anxious to hear about your trip so kept me in mind on your return and let us know how it was? thanks. I go May 5 to 12. I've exchanged a few emails with Oasis Divers and they told me no crusie ship people will ever be mixed with divers staying on the island. The also told me there has been very little imapct from crusie ships on the island.

Ive been to GT a few times, and have also stayed at Osprey (last yeaer). I don't know if/how cruise ships starting to come in have changed the place. My visit about a year ago it was still a kind of sleepy, very friendly laid back place. Diving is very easy, short boat rides to the sites.

The island doesn't have much in the way of "tourist" stuff except what may have been added where the Carnival pier is. That said, you can enjoy beautiful quiet beaches, go to the north fork or salinas at night and appreciate the flamingoes, go up the lighthouse, or spend an afternoon in the museum. You can walk around town and see remnants of old plantations. And, just talk to people, they are very open to visitors, at least at my visits. Go find Chubby on the north fork, he makes a great reasonbly priced fish dinner.

I'm returning to see if it still has the same atmosphere, in late May, so will know more after that.

Was there for the first cruise ship arrival last month. Other than a bnch of octagenarians riding around in horse drawn trollys didn't see much of the tourists. The diving is great there. I usually stay at Salt Raker or Osprey. There is of course the resturants at Osprey and Salt Raker, the Courtyard, The Sand Bar and Waterside all right there together, then up on the North end, Bohio is good. At the cruise village there is a Margeritaville.

During my dives the temp was 76 degrees at the bottom or warmer. I used both a 3mm and a dive skin (1mm triweight) and was comfortable in either, but then I have a bit of insulation...:)

Mike

Amy WJ:
We'll be going in a couple weeks to Grank Turk, March 15-22nd, diving with Oasis and staying at Island House. I'll let you know after I return how the trip was. Doesn't sound like there's much on the island but that's OK. I really enjoyed Cayman Brac and there wasn't much there either, but the diving and the dive operator (Divi Tiara) were GREAT!
You're going to love Island House - Colin did it right the way he set it all up. The problem comes when it's time to pack and go - all of a sudden, you realize that you could just live there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom