Oriskany Dive 6-10-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
I will be heading back out to the Oriskany on 6/10. My family always vacations in Pensacola so this will be my 4th trip out. Can't wait to get back out there.

I will be diving with MBT and was curious if anyone else was going to be there that day

Almost...

Me and the missus will be diving the Oriskany on the 7th with Down Under. This will be our first trip to the Oriskany and we are really looking forward to it.

Any pointers for someone making their first dives on the Big O?

:)

This is a great dive. You'll enjoy it. My only advise is to respect the dive. She's deep. From what I understand the last tropical storm caused the wreck to sink an additional 10 feet putting the flight deck at closer to 140. Not to worry, though there's plenty to see within recreational limits.

Check in the Panhandle sub-group for the Oriskany thread for more info.

I was pleased with MBT. I believe they work with the H2O below charter. Another good thing about MBT is that they have higher capacity tanks like LP 109's available for rent (and probably others too). I dove something like ~30% nitrox. MBT was meticulous about getting the blend just right.

If I remember correctly the H2O below is a Newton, but it's the one without the "tower" that extends really far towards the back of the boat. If you want shade get there early and sit toward the bow. Want to be closer to the hot dogs on the way in--sit in the middle.

One nice treat about leaving from Pensacola is that if the Blue Angels are practicing you might get an air show on the way in or out.

I bought one of the laminated "maps" of the O to get familar with the structure and plan the dive better. We had an awesome DM who gave an excellent briefing which was also helpful.

I'll be in Panama City next week trying to get in as many dives as she will allow.

Cheers

When you dive the O you really only get to dive the tower and touch the deck because it is mostly all below 140 feet. Unlike the Vandy and the Spiegal and the Texas Clipper which are sitting on bottom in half the depth, the 220/240 foot bottom of the O makes it really a tech dive. Sure, you can hit the top of the tower in 70 plus feet and sure it is the largest artificial reef but you cannot really see any of it. The Spiegal is a much better dive IMO. Maybe next time they sink a ship for a reef in the Panhandle they could put it within reasonable depth limits. I have made four trips out on the O. I recommend 100 cf, pony, Jet Fins to handle the current, nitrox.

N

just pray for good conditions. I have been very fortunate but have heard a lot of stories were they can't go out or have to turn around because of conditions.

Hopefully you are certified for Nitrox. My first dive at the Oriskany was on air and I knew after that I needed to get certified for Nitrox. Huge difference and much more enjoyable.

Hope you have a great trip.

Almost...

Me and the missus will be diving the Oriskany on the 7th with Down Under. This will be our first trip to the Oriskany and we are really looking forward to it.

Any pointers for someone making their first dives on the Big O?

:)

You will enjoy the dive. the Down Under is a great boat with more than enough room, and the crew is great. The DM's are very informative and will give you an in depth briefing, and will be more than happy to answer any and all questions! I did the O with them a few weeks ago and it was an awesome experience!

The O is a great dive and you will enjoy the dive. Get a T shirt to commemorate it! Look, this is the thing, don't know you, don't know your experience level. This is a deep dive, there is often strong current all the way to the deck. The huge size of the wreck, the depth and the current and the long swim from the boat, down the mooring line and to the tower, down the tower and to the deck will leave many divers below minimum air on an 80 cf tank--RIGHT THERE. If you are at all a heavy breather, take or rent 100cf nitrox mix for the depth, 28% I think is the right mix. This dive is a stretch on an 80 even for a diver with solid experience and a low SAC.

N

There is plenty to see between 75 - 120' if you take your time and look around. Lots of swim throughs and holes to look in. The flight deck has always been below the rec limit, and it's pretty boring - looks a lot like the top of a barge (a relly big barge) so rec divers really aren't missing anything. Along with being the largest, Oriskany's history makes her one of the truly classic dives in the world.

The marine life has exploded on the O in the last year and visibility has been great lately - in the 80-100' range. Currents can be a challenge on a bad day, but there are lots of days with no current at all. Even at it's worst it's not as bad as it gets in the keys and along the east coast. Got plenty of 30 minute+ dives on an 80 although I do prefer an LP95 and 28% Nitrox is a good conservative mix.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom