Orings in Conshelf/Titan Spring Block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently picked up a Conshelf on eBay to tear apart and learn about the guts of regs. My question is how do you get the Orings out of the spring block. I have tried and can get the Oring pulled out of the groove but cannot get the Oring out of the block opening. The second sealing ring most be a really big pain.

Does any one have any tips or tricks on how these Orings are removed and installed?

The rest of the disassembly and assembly is fairly straight forward and covered in the manual.

Thanks for any advice.

If you have the very early spring block, the outer opening is a bit small. I always replace the spring block with the newer style. The inside (were the pressure pushes the O-ring and back-up ring) has the same dimension, but the outer opening is a lot friendlier to work with.

You can remove the O-ring by stabbing it with a pick, but be extremely careful not to scratch the sealing surface. If you do scratch the sealing surface you will have to replace the spring block with a new one, and it will be easier in the future to service it.

You don't necessarily have to replace the back-up ring if it looks OK. If it is the old style back-up ring, it is a white plastic ring that is split. It is actually not hard to remove, but if you do remove it, it will probably will need replacing.

You can buy all the parts from VintageDoubleHose.com. He sells all the parts for a Conshelf or you can look for individual parts for a Royal Aqua Master (double hose). The first stage parts are the exact same parts.

Scubatools sells a 'double hook' o-ring pick that I find very useful for removing o-rings from recessed grooves.

Thanks for the information. I got the Orings out and new ones in. It was one of the early style spring blocks from a Conshelf XII, I may look into getting a new one depending on cost.

I will look into the "double hook" pick, I have heard them mentioned before.

Good on you for reading the manual first rather than missing a small step like installing the inner backup ring up side down. I would also suggest obtaining one of Herman's USD/AL guts installation tools.

The install tool in next on my list of tools. Tried the install without it, huge pain in the arse.

The install tool in next on my list of tools. Tried the install without it, huge pain in the arse.

Yeah, 40 years ago we used to do it the old fashion way at the dive shop I worked at. The installation tool makes it a lot easier.
I now own several types (including the US Divers/ Aqua Lung tool) and I prefer Herman's. He makes his out of stainless steel with a nice taper to compress the snap ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom