Oring storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was told that it is better to store the camera housing open so that the O-ring doesn't deform.
First off is this correct?
And secondly
If it is, would it be safe to store the O-ring in a plastic zip-lock baggy.

The only reason I want to do this is so I can close the case and store everything in the travel bag for storage in my closet.
I don't trust leaving the case un-open in the bag.
Thanks in advance.

I'll probably have the answer to that question in another 7 years or so.
I bought a Sony DSC-P3 in 2002 and last year after 7 years of use the o-ring expanded to the point where I couldn't close the case without kinking or trapping the oring. Now I always stored the case open using the little rubber block that came with the case.
The camera was in regular use - dive trip every one or two months. Before each trip I would just lightly run my finger across the mating surfaces to feel for any grit. If I felt anything I'd just wipe that area with a tissue and re-lube. I would on average remove the oring once per year, clean it and re-lube. But the feeling I had was that this handling of the oring was stretching it unnecessarily.
The case never let even a drop of water enter.
So I put in the original spare and this time around I am keeping the case stored always closed and I intend to handle the oring as little as possible.
I'm just curious to see if I get a longer life or a shorter one.
So far after about 15 months with the case closed the seal is still perfect.

Good to know. I didn't think stretching the O-ring would be a problem.

Has anyone ever had a camera flooding they suspect might be caused by a crushed O-ring being stored in a closed camera?

I think that Sealife manuals say to leave the housing open when not in use, as well as never using silicone grease.

I know this is a Sealife forum.....but the question applies to pretty much all enclosures.

Ikelite's recommendation is "When storing the housing, remove the back o-ring, lightly lubricate, and place in a plastic bag"

I know this is a Sealife forum.....but the question applies to pretty much all enclosures.

Ikelite's recommendation is "When storing the housing, remove the back o-ring, lightly lubricate, and place in a plastic bag"
Except that some instructions are different with Sealife, like: * Do not lubricate o-ring. There are different kinds of O-rings made from different materials, and Sealife has always used Silicone o-rings I think.

And one not at all popular with us owners: * Replace O-ring every year to ensure proper seal. :shocked2: I never have tho.

I just went over the DC1200 manual tho, and there is not much on storage. Older models said to leave housing open, but I cannot find that on this one? :idk:

Theoretically, storing the o-ring in a sealed housing in a compressed state will decrease the life of that o-ring.
In my opinion, there's no compelling reason to store the camera housing in a closed, water-tight state.

I've owned a few Canon UW housings. Post-dive, I let the UW housing soak in warm fresh water for a while so that the buttons don't get sticky. Then, I gently remove the o-ring, rinse it off with fresh water, dry it, and store it in a ziploc bag. The o-ring groove on the housing gets cleaned carefully with a q-tip, allowed to dry, and then stored latched closed (without the o-ring in place). The o-ring in ziploc bag + housing live inside a closed Rubbermaid bin with the rest of my dive gear in-between dives. Before the next dive, I very lightly lubricate the o-ring with the manufacturer-specified lube. The groove and o-ring are inspected carefully under good lighting to ensure that no sand/grit/hair/foreign objects while operating the latch to ensure waterproof integrity. Using this practice, my o-rings last several years with light-to-moderate use (50-70 dives per year).

Hope this helps...

For extended [eriods, 3 months or more, I would recommend storing the housing open. No need to remove and store the o-ring in a bag though. The important thing with any housing that has sat for some time is to insure that the o-ring is clean before the next use. Doing a test in a tub/pail of water without the camera inside would also be recommended for any system. That way there are no surprises on your first dive!

For extended [eriods, 3 months or more, I would recommend storing the housing open. No need to remove and store the o-ring in a bag though. The important thing with any housing that has sat for some time is to insure that the o-ring is clean before the next use. Doing a test in a tub/pail of water without the camera inside would also be recommended for any system. That way there are no surprises on your first dive!

Curious thread! Joe, why is it recommended to store the housing open for extended periods? Greater chance of damaging the case imo.
If it is to prevent the "O" ring from deforming then wouldn't it be better to remove the O ring and store it separately on a flat surface so it doesn't get damaged?

Another Question regarding "O" Rings, how does Sealife suggest we handle the O Rings on our 961 Strobes?
I can see that within 2 months the "flat" rubber seal (not really an O Ring) is already deforming slightly around the hinge area of the flash

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom