Original vs New Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen older Scouts for sale that the seller claims to be better because the bezel is adhered to the bezel body and not just slip on, plus they are blue. So what are the differences between these older lights and the currently sold ones? Is either one better? Do they still sell them in blue?

~Jess

Halcyon never made the Scouts in blue. They've always been black delrin. The one you are looking at on Ebay is the Scoutmaster, and the seller is a decent guy with a good reputation. I've bought from him many times with no problems at all. I trusted him enough to spend more than $1000 with him for a Helios-9.

Halcyon used to use the UK SL4 head (which is what all of the clones use), and there have been a lot of complaints about the rubber coming off of the new in-house design.

FWIW, it's really not a big deal. Just be aware of it and attach it firmly with a dab of Aquaseal.

That said, Scubaroo, Oxycheq, Canadian Extreme, Divelightman, and a few others all make decent clones of the Scout.

None (including Halcyon) are without happy customers, and none (including Halcyon) are without some customers who have complained about something.

So was the Scoutmaster made by Halcyon or who? Any differences between it and the scout besides color and the rubber being attatched?

~Jess

RichLockyer once bubbled...
That said, Scubaroo, Oxycheq, Canadian Extreme, Divelightman, and a few others all make decent clones of the Scout.
Actually mine are made by Divelightman (Todd). Canadian Extreme seems to have gone quietly into the sunset, and are no longer producing lights.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Actually mine are made by Divelightman (Todd). Canadian Extreme seems to have gone quietly into the sunset, and are no longer producing lights.
What do you think of them? His ebay listing that makes them out as being Halcyon lights doesn't give me a very good first impression, but the price is nice .

~Jess

The listing says "Halcyon type".
If he didn't have such a solid track record, I'd call it perhaps shady, but what it does is get search hits for people looking for Halcyon products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3629547257&category=29575&rd=1
The body of the listing doesnt sa anything about Halcyon(also doesn't say anything to say its not made by halcyon) but the title is "ORIGINAL type Halcyon scout BLUE 100% GUAR" yes it does say type, but it looks more to me like its saying that its the original type Halcyon scout. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the product, just a very misleading add IMHO.

I am not complaining just making a point. When I do get around to trying to buy a scout type light I will seriously consider buying from this guy.

~Jess

The ones I've received so far have the nicest on|off action for this style of light I've seen. You twist the lighthead, the light comes on, that's it. The light turns on just before the bezel bottoms out, and is a pronounced on|off - my personal Canadian Extremes, although reliable to date, tended to flicker a bit when turning the bezel - it's all in the battery tray design. There was a big thread on SB a while back - someone had Todd modify their Canadian Extreme lights for them with the new battery tray, and they were super impressed. They're also available in orange and black.

Canadian Extreme appear to be defunct nowadays anyway.

Haven't had a chance to get them wet yet - I've recently moved, and my scuba gear is with the rest of the household effects and is still enroute.

Back
Top Bottom