Original Scupper Pro vs Scupper Pro TW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett Hatch

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying out diving from a kayak. Looking into different makes, models, lengths, price points, etc. It seems that the Scupper Pro TW is universally regarded to be top of the line, with a few competitors. What about the original Scupper Pro, the one with two storage hatches (see attached photo)? There is 15 footer for sale on Craigslist for $650 including paddles and seat, a few miles away from my house. Seems a reasonable price, for the right vessel.

The main concern I have is that the two smaller wells might not be sufficient for bulky scuba gear, vs the single larger well in the SPTW. I dive a BP/W rig, primarily with HP100 tanks. Worth pursuing, or hold out for a TW?

Attachments

• ScupperPro.jpg
    ScupperPro.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 317
I found this comment:

It is very difficult to get an outfitted tank (with BC and reg attached) in and out of the hatch on the Scupper Pro (possible only with a very trim BC). ...

I have found that the XT has (barely, at times) sufficient storage under the front hatch for all my dive gear except jacket top. This includes weight-belt, fins, mask, anchor and line, goody-bag, etc. We typically stack two tanks in the rear well and balance the weight back out by placing the weight-belt along one side in the front.

I have no experience with a scuba kayak but would rather have the large cockpit and open back.

I found this comment:

It is very difficult to get an outfitted tank (with BC and reg attached) in and out of the hatch on the Scupper Pro (possible only with a very trim BC). ...

I have found that the XT has (barely, at times) sufficient storage under the front hatch for all my dive gear except jacket top. This includes weight-belt, fins, mask, anchor and line, goody-bag, etc. We typically stack two tanks in the rear well and balance the weight back out by placing the weight-belt along one side in the front.

I have no experience with a scuba kayak but would rather have the large cockpit and open back.
Thanks for the pointer. Sounds from that description that the writer is in the habit if assembling their dive gear on the kayak. Not sure I have the guts for that. At least starting out, I'd rather assemble at my truck and lash the entire, inflated rig to the kayak. On the other hand, I have heard of folks diving sidemount off a kayak, with a big upside being that it's easy to remove tanks in-water. So maybe it's not the disaster-waiting-to-happen I'm imagining?

Hold out for the TW. I have one and so do several of my buddies. (One of whom dives a BP/W rig with an HP100 tank.) Strap the rigged tank in the back. Put weights/mask/fins/gloves, etc in the front hatch. (Weights in the front for balance.) I also have a friend who injured his back wrestling with his gear in a double-hatch model.

Kayak diving is great! Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.

Hold out for the TW. I have one and so do several of my buddies. (One of whom dives a BP/W rig with an HP100 tank.) Strap the rigged tank in the back. Put weights/mask/fins/gloves, etc in the front hatch. (Weights in the front for balance.) I also have a friend who injured his back wrestling with his gear in a double-hatch model.

Kayak diving is great! Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.
Darn it! I was hoping someone would come along and say, "oh no, the original SP is great, buy that sucker before someone else does!" Oh well, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Any pointers on where to find one? Having been discontinued like 10 years ago, they seem to be few and far between these days.

Yes, they can be hard to find. Most of my friends have found theirs by keeping a close eye on Craigslist. One even drove down to Southern California to pick his up when he got tired of waiting for one to be available in the Bay Area. Good luck with your search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom