Original FFs: Snorkeling and Moderate current.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I am planning a trip to Indonesia later this year. The area I am going to is not known for heavy current, but you know how that might go. I have used the original Force Fins in Cozumel and Roatan and am very happy with the control they give me in light current and drift diving. Does anyone have experience with the originals in moderate and maybe occasional heavier currents?
Also, I am planning on doing some snorkeling in the shallows. Will the FF be suitable for cruising on the surface for an hour or so at a time?
Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Indonesia later this year. The area I am going to is not known for heavy current, but you know how that might go. I have used the original Force Fins in Cozumel and Roatan and am very happy with the control they give me in light current and drift diving. Does anyone have experience with the originals in moderate and maybe occasional heavier currents?
Also, I am planning on doing some snorkeling in the shallows. Will the FF be suitable for cruising on the surface for an hour or so at a time?
Thanks for any advice you might offer.
Scrane,

I have dived the original Force Fins is rivers here in Oregon. They work well in the currents, but you have to emphasize the down stroke with a hard kick, and go light on the recovery stroke in current. They actually work better underwater than on the surface, as the down stroke is longer.

For snorkeling in the shallows, they should be just fine. I'd wear a neoprene sock with them, as you don't want your toes exposed.

'Hope that helps.

SeaRat

RR: Thanks for your response. I really want to take the FFs along, and by your account I should be good to go.

RR: Thanks for your response. I really want to take the FFs along, and by your account I should be good to go.

Politely disagree. I am an avid FF user (4 pairs of all types) and have found them great for diving and useless for snorkeling. I would not count on these for snorkeling use.

I was worried about this. The up-kick on the FF seems kind of weak. I'll bring them to the Y and kick a few laps.
Thanks.

I was worried about this. The up-kick on the FF seems kind of weak. I'll bring them to the Y and kick a few laps.
Thanks.

If there's any snorkeling planned on a trip, I bring a pair of Scubapro Go Fins. They're cheap, really small and light and are great for snorkeling. FFs need to be submerged to be effective; Kicking on the surface causes a lot of noise and not much propulsion.

If there's any snorkeling planned on a trip, I bring a pair of Scubapro Go Fins. They're cheap, really small and light and are great for snorkeling. FFs need to be submerged to be effective; Kicking on the surface causes a lot of noise and not much propulsion.
Pushing Scubapro..how about a pair of cheap jet fins..nice and heavy and hang off your foot. I Dived 20 years in jet fins, great fin recommend to all new divers..Thanks

Pushing Scubapro..how about a pair of cheap jet fins..nice and heavy and hang off your foot. I Dived 20 years in jet fins, great fin recommend to all new divers..Thanks

Not so cheap. Mind you, compared to FFs, they’re a bargain at 1/4 of the price.

Thanks.
Force fins are not my first choice for snorkeling; I've developed a blade type that I use exclusively. But the Force Fins do work for snorkeling. The up-stroke is minimal. You need short, choppy strokes on the surface that are more frequent than the normal fins, and emphasize the downstroke. According to some, while there is not as much force on the up-stroke, you will have less fatigue during the day. I will say that the Force Fin foot pocket is probably the best-designed foot pocket on the market. Try it out in a pool before you go, and compare it with some others.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom