Origin of "Horse Collar" & "Mae West"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This video includes a number of interesting snippets that explain the origin of Horse Collar & Mae West, familiar terms to vintage divers.

Another Historic Footnote:
The ship in the video at the 4:56 mark is the USS Falcon AM-28, which was modified and re-designated ASR-2. She was the second submarine rescue vessel in the US Navy. ASRs were the the first naval vessels that were permanently outfitted for diving operations and later ASRs were the platform for Helium-Oxygen diving for decades.

Huh.. seems you old boat people and planees had good taste in ladies.

Prior to seeing this, I assumed mae west was a brand name.

I think it is fair to say that Mae West made herself into a brand, just not the type of brand you were thinking. I'm guessing she would not be popular with the woke feminist crowd today.

Huh.. seems you old boat people and planees had good taste in ladies.

I think is fair to say that Mae West made herself into a brand, just not the type of brand you were thinking. I'm guessing she would not be popular with the woke feminist crowd today.

I guess I'm getting old. I thought everyone knew about Mae West.

I should think she'd be very popular with feminists: She defied convention, empowered herself, and successfully branded her sexuality in her forties without starving herself to look like a teenager.

Think Madonna--but with a great sense of humor and no body image issues. She always assumed the audience was in on her jokes.

She had some truly memorable lines:

Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court?
Mae West: I'm trying to hide my contempt for this court.

Young woman: Goodness! Look at those diamonds!
Mae West: Goodness had nothing to do with it.

"When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad, I'm better."

And her signature line:
"Come up and see me some time."

Google her quotes and watch some of her movies.

Slight topic shift but still related. The History Guy has excellent content and frequent videos. Definitely worthy of a subscription!

Over here, the front vest/horse collar vest is colloquially known as the "toilet" seat. For rather obvious reasons.

a/k/a the "nut crusher", also for rather obvious reasons. How I hate that lower strap.

a/k/a the "nut crusher", also for rather obvious reasons. How I hate that lower strap.

The trick is to modify the crotch strap into a double parachute-inspired arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom