Ordered my Atomics - Creatively

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I thought I'd throw this out in case anyone else thought this a good idea.

I decided to go with Atomic regulators. Instead of going with the B2 and Z1 octo I did the following, all prices are retail for apples to apples comparison:

Z1 1st and 2nd stage $380
Ti2 Octo $350
Color Kit for Octo: $20
Wide Exaust $20
Swivel Hose $75
Total: $845

Instead of B2:
B2 1st and 2nd stage $699
Z1 Octo $250
Wide Exaust $20
Total: $969

What did I give up? I gave up the swivel turret on the 1st stage. I didn't want this as it's just another potential failure point. I think that's it. I could have saved another 20 if I didn't mind the Ti2 staying yellow, but I plan for it to be my primary so I am adding the color kit and wide exaust.

Total savings between the two: $124.00 retail. I worked up an excel spreadsheet to compare the two, if you compare discounted prices the difference will decrease a little, but it's still a significant savings, especially if you'd rather not have the swivel on the 1st stage.

I purchased through my LDS, they gave me a discount I could live with and offer half price service on regs they sell. I hope to have my new regs before my next dives!

Well since you posted... IMO your config + theory is a little wierd.

I have a Z1 1st and 2nd with a swivel hose with a Tusa DuoAir octo/inflator.

Another thing you gave up is the 2 year service interval. The B2, M1, and, T1 have a 2 year service interval. The Z1 interval is 1 year. Since you are getting 1/2 off your service this is not such a big deal.

You went with a Z1 1st + 2nd but a Ti2 Octo... Why not a Z1 octo and save $100? Are you going to get your Ti2 octo serviced every year or every other year?

I would not worry too much about the 1st stage swivel turret on the B2 being a point of failure unless you are doing Tech diving or strictly following the DIR philosophy. Why didn't you apply the same thinking to the hose swivel as being a point of failure? After all the M1 (designed for Tech diving) has a 1st stage swivel turret.

BTW, my Z1 "pulls" even with a hose swivel installed. I think the swivel turret would address this.

My 2cts.

-Aaron

Most people that get the B2 probably get Z1 octo, so they are still going to have to service the Z1 once a year in that config. According to what I have read you should have the regs inspected once a year and serviced every other year. So only the Z1 should require annual service, although I doubt it needs it as I think this is mostly marketing. But the regs should be going in annually no matter what for at least an inspection.

The Ti2 will be my primary. The ONLY thing I gave up in this config is the swivel on the 1st stage. Yes I added the swivel on the 2nd stage. There is a big difference between a 1st stage failure and a 2nd stage failure when you have an octo to go to.

In my view I saved some cash and eliminated a feature I didn't want. I have a swivel on my current 1st stage and it really doesn't move very much that I can tell. The weight of the hoses tend to hold it in one position anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, it's great to have so many opinions to help make our purchase decisions. I can't wait to get the regs and try them out as I really couldn't find any negative comments on the Atomics.

and your first stage is Zirconium not brass.

ScottCocoaBeach:
The Ti2 will be my primary.
Ahhhh now I see. BTW... did you get the Stainless Steel or TI hose swivel?

The difference between the Ti2 2nd stage and Z1 2nd stage is that (as I am sure you know) all the major metal components are TI. In the Z1, all major metal components are Zirconium except for the lever arm which is TI. The performance of the Ti2 and Z1 2nd stages are exactly the same. You saved a few ounces in weight. IMO this is not worth the $100.

ScottCocoaBeach:
I can't wait to get the regs and try them out as I really couldn't find any negative comments on the Atomics.
Ok... I am done bagging on the minor details of your config. :) It is top notch. I agree that Atomic regs are excellent. I do not know if I can ever bring myself to buy anything else. Enjoy your equipment and safe diving.

-Aaron

Otter:
and your first stage is Zirconium not brass.

Nope, the first stage is brass.

The first stages for the M1, Z1, B2 are all almost identical, down to the part numbers.
The only differences are that the Z1 first stage has a non-swivel port whereas the B2 and M1 have a swivel port (they are interchangeable), and that the M1 has a monel piston instead of the stainless steel piston in the Z1 and B2.

I own a few Atomic regs and really like them a lot. Three Atomic B1's, two as my doubles regs, one for stage, and another Ti2 second stage that's on an Apeks first stage as my singles rig (used to be on one of my B1's as an Octo before I went double). I bought my first one as a sort of an 'open-box-special' at an LDS, but the next two I bought on Ebay at a very good deal!

BTW, w.r.t. the service interval, if you look at the components of each of the regulators, the Z1 first stage and B1 first stage are identical (except for the swivel), and then the M1 second stage and Z1 second stage are identical except for the M1 having a stainless steel orifice instead of the Z1's titanium orifice and external appearances including the heat exchange fins(?). Since the internals of the Z1 are the same as either the M1 or B1, both of which have 2 year service intervals, there is no real reason why the Z1 can't go for 2 years, too.

Thank you both for the feedback.

I went with the stainless swivel since that is what is on the B2.

Yes, I could have just gone with two Z1's and the swivel, but I wanted to have the lighter weight on the primary and essentially have the B2 with the minor difference in 1st stages.

It was my understanding that except for swivel the 1st stages (B2 and Z1) were identical which appears to be the case.

I agree that the service interval should be fine at 2 years on any of their regs. I will probably just have them inspected/tuned annually with parts every 2 years.

I can't wait to try them out!

paulwlee:
Nope, the first stage is brass..

Yup, you are right. Sorry 'bout that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom