OrcaTorch D570-GL Dive Laser and White Beam 2 -in-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving loved man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
You point at a critter with your finger and your buddy just does not see it. You switch on your dive light, but still, for what ever reason, your buddy does not see what you are trying to point out. Would it not be wonderful if you could only clearly illuminate a pinpoint? Well, that is just what the OrcaTorch D570-GL 2.0 does! In addition to its 1500 lumen 8 ° white light beam, it also comes with a build-in green laser. Although the laser and normal light are controlled by the same switch, it is possible to use only the laser, only the light or both the light and the laser at the same time. Just depending on how you want to use it, you can use it.

D5702.jpg

As the bright green laser penetrates the water really far, it outreaches the white light of the D570-GL. So, pinpointing a direction to go to is another useful option of the D570-GL for communication with your buddy. When using the laser light above water, you will only see a bright green light point where you point the laser. But as there are always some particles in the water, underwater you will actually see a long straight green line of laser. So even if you point the laser in ‘the big blue’, it will be clear in which direction you are pointing.
D5701.jpg

When using the laser light above water, you will only see a bright green light point where you point the laser.

Hmm Out of curiosity - how do the regular laser toys work to focus a laser beam that this UW torch cannot over land? What’s the difference in lens/physics between a land based laser that manages to throw a sharp beam vs an underwater laser?

I used to think that the laser beam could be used for distress signalling by a lost diver at night but based on your post - looks like not? (Ignore the NVD incompatibility with green lasers for now)…

Hmm Out of curiosity - how do the regular laser toys work to focus a laser beam that this UW torch cannot over land? What’s the difference in lens/physics between a land based laser that manages to throw a sharp beam vs an underwater laser?

I used to think that the laser beam could be used for distress signalling by a lost diver at night but based on your post - looks like not? (Ignore the NVD incompatibility with green lasers for now)…
Underwater, the laser beam's light is refracted and scattered by the water, allowing the beam to be clearly visible. On land, the air has less refraction and the light travels more in a straight line, so we typically only see a point of light. Hope it is helpful for you.

Underwater, the laser beam's light is refracted and scattered by the water, allowing the beam to be clearly visible. On land, the air has less refraction and the light travels more in a straight line, so we typically only see a point of light. Hope it is helpful for you.
Hmm but the toy lasers floating around the market do throw a focused laser beam to more than 25mtrs on land … exactly like in the UW pic in post#1. What explains that?

Nice write up!

I have the Nite Scuba version of this light and the laser works impressively well above and below water. I can see the whole beam above and below water also and I would think it could be used effectively for signaling above water at night.

Hmm but the toy lasers floating around the market do throw a focused laser beam to more than 25mtrs on land … exactly like in the UW pic in post#1. What explains that?
I’ve been using this light and the laser it projects can be easily seen for hundreds of yards above water in air at night. Underwater it will still go a fair distance but discerning the spot can be a little more difficult, at least in green due to the lack of contrast. At night it’ll be easier to pick up.

In theory the human eye picks up green more readily as it is in the center of our color vision spectrum. However, due to the lack of contrast with often green backgrounds it can be harder to see.

The reason you can sometimes see a laser from the side and getting the projection line is from the laser striking particles in the medium it is traveling through which then reflect the light. Think fog machines at a concert. In water, the same thing happens with the exception of the particles being suspended in water typically being solids as opposed to the small water droplets of fog. In clear freshwater there are little underwater the particles suspended in the water and as such you won’t see much of the projected beam from the side.

The laser can be quite entertaining with fish. Some will chase after it like cats (or some dogs as I found my lab loves to chase them).

Quality of components aside, the laser in the OrcaTorch is basically the same makeup as a toy laser but in an underwater housing.

Back
Top Bottom