Orcas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the videos on Facebook as well, and they do look like pilot whales to me, but then again I am not a expert even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

I was on the same boat with jwilson05 and his wife. I posted about the pilot whales on Facebook - just checked my status and yep, it was July 14th. It was after our second dive (which was Cedral, so probably about the same time as the other group). We counted about five or so but it was hard to tell for sure.

I looked at the pictures on one of the divers cellphone cameras.I saw a whale perpendicular in the water with his head above the surface about 4 to 5 feet. He was maybe 50 feet from the boat. The markings, white under the jaw and black on top, were clearly those of a killer whale. And there were at least 10 to 12 in this pod that I could tell and that is what the divers told me as well. Perhaps this was a different pod? Maybe part of the pod was submerged when you saw them? I dont know. The divers did tell me that the Dive/Op crew was very excited and also took a lot of pictures. They, Scuba Du Dive Op, identified them as Orcas.

I looked at the pictures on one of the divers cellphone cameras.I saw a whale perpendicular in the water with his head above the surface about 4 to 5 feet. He was maybe 50 feet from the boat. The markings, white under the jaw and black on top, were clearly those of a killer whale. And there were at least 10 to 12 in this pod that I could tell and that is what the divers told me as well. Perhaps this was a different pod? Maybe part of the pod was submerged when you saw them? I dont know. The divers did tell me that the Dive/Op crew was very excited and also took a lot of pictures. They, Scuba Du Dive Op, identified them as Orcas.

It sounds like maybe it was a different pod. I didn't get pictures, but I don't remember any white markings at all - they were dark grey all over. When I got back, one of the other DMs said that the recent storms in the area might have gotten them on the move. (?) So maybe there were multiple pods coming through the area. Regardless...it was way cool and definitely something to remember! :cool2:

yep, we've been getting them in the gulf of mexico for a few years now. i guess it was just a matter of time before they got down there. if you want some photos and videos, go to - killers in the gulf. marine biologists confirm they are true orcas.

The videographers at Anthony's Key were able to shoot some video segments of Orca whales down there a couple of years ago. I was very surprised to hear of them in warm Caribbean waters, but there are more than a few sightings in the Gulf of Mexico, also...

yep, we've been getting them in the gulf of mexico for a few years now. i guess it was just a matter of time before they got down there. if you want some photos and videos, go to - killers in the gulf. marine biologists confirm they are true orcas.
You may want to turn your sound down...

Killer Whale
Orcinus orca
A Killer Whale
A Killer Whale
From the NUS Dolphin Study Group
Etienne Douaze
<douaze@dsg.sbs.nus.edu.sg>
Permission obtained on 30 July 1998,
Email message.

The killer whale is probably one of the easiest cetaceans to identify, with its unique and striking black and white coloration. With a robust, heavy body, it is the largest member of the family Delphinidae. A characteristic white patch exists behind the eye, and a gray saddle patch occurs behind the dorsal fin. The flippers are very large and paddle-shaped. The dorsal fin is triangular and very tall, reaching more than one meter in height. Of all the cetaceans, the killer whale has the largest range. It is found in nearly all waters of the world, although it is somewhat more common in polar waters than tropical waters. Groups consist of closely knit families called pods. Members stay together for life. Groups of closely related pods form clans, and each has its own dialect. At least two pods can combine into superpods of at least 150 individuals. Despite their rather menacing name, killer whales do not harm people, and aggression in the wild is quite rare. They are quite inquisitive and approachable. Although bow- and wake- riding are rare, breaching, lobtailing, flipper-slapping, and spyhopping are very common. Swimming speeds of up to 55 kilometers per hour have been recorded.
Another Killer Whale
Another Killer Whale
From the NUS Dolphin Study Group
Etienne Douaze
<douaze@dsg.sbs.nus.edu.sg>
Permission obtained on 30 July 1998,
Email message.

Two distinct forms have been identified: transients and residents. Transients form smaller pods of only one to seven individuals. They feed on mammals, make relatively few sounds, and their dorsal fins are more pointed and centrally located. Residents live in pods of between 5 and 25 individuals, and have far smaller home ranges, at least in the summer. Their diets consist of mainly fish, and they make many sounds. Unlike transients, their routes tend to be predictable; they do not change direction unpredictably. Dives are shorter as well, rarely exceeding four minutes.

Pods can be in a tight formation or spread out across more than one kilometer of ocean. Often entire groups surface and dive in unison. Their diets are very diverse, one of the most varied of all cetaceans. Some individuals have even been seen trying to feed on blue whales. Pods often coordinate their operations when hunting. One curious attribute is that pods

Wow, this is getting interesting! With Novalyne on the boat on Thursday the whales we saw didn't seem to have any white markings or be large enough for regular orcas. False killer whales maybe or pilot whales.
Maybe there were two pods of different species. That would be even cooler. It's a big ocean and there aren't any fences. I suppose you can't ever be sure what is going to show up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom