Orcas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Cozumel on July 18th. Stayed at the Presidente. Havent been there the last two or three trips. Dove with Scuba Du. Hotel was very busy which surprised me. I checked and they said that occupancy was at 48 %.That is busy for them. Yes it is too expensive there but I get a deal on the room, I go to the Chedraui / Mega and get my own cocktails and snacks and a rolling ice chest( TY GGunn ) is one of my pieces of checked luggage and is then used as a refrigerator.The service there is great and we mostly eat out at restaurants.

Diving was great, of course. First dive was at Santa Rosa wall. We were down about 83 feet and cruising along the wall when I spotted a big Loggerhead turtle about 50 feet or so below me. Just as I turned to my right to see if my wife had also spotted the turtle, ZOOM!!. A large Nurse Shark came over the top of the wall and raced past me down the wall so fast I couldn't believe it.He was about 3 feet away from me when he went by. Our Divemaster missed it. He was too busy looking for lionfish to pay attention to us. Although I must admit it was fun to watch him feed skewered lionfish to a VERY large grouper who was following him with great expectations. Our second dive was on Cedral and I was surprised by how strong the current was that day. It was stronger than what I would have expected on Tunich for example. We did a lot of head into the current and kicking as hard as we could just to maintain position.

It tired me out so much, yes I'm getting old, that we decided to skip diving the next day. When the divers came back the next day, a couple of them met up with us on the beach and told us that they had spotted a pod of whales on the way back from the last dive of the day. I of course assumed they were probably Pilot whales and was surprised when they told me they were Orcas / Killer Whales. I said " are you sure? never heard of Orcas in Cozumel. waters too warm, no seals to eat etc..... " Then she showed me pictures of the pod from her telephone camera.I was amazed by what I saw. Has anyone else heard about these Orcas in Cozumel?

Orcas in Cozumel? That's news to me. Maybe Orcas got lost by following their GPS directions. Hahaha! :)

It tired me out so much, yes I'm getting old, that we decided to skip diving the next day. When the divers came back the next day, a couple of them met up with us on the beach and told us that they had spotted a pod of whales on the way back from the last dive of the day. I of course assumed they were probably Pilot whales and was surprised when they told me they were Orcas / Killer Whales. I said " are you sure? never heard of Orcas in Cozumel. waters too warm, no seals to eat etc..... " Then she showed me pictures of the pod from her telephone camera.I was amazed by what I saw. Has anyone else heard about these Orcas in Cozumel?
It's likely they were False Killer Whales (Pseudorca crassidens). The same dolphin family as true orcas, but a different genus.

i have talked to a few people who saw them and all said pilot whales.

i have talked to a few people who saw them and all said pilot whales.
We were there in the second week of July and saw a pod of pilot whales. They swam with the boat close enough to reach out and touch, so it was a positive ID, confirmed by looking them up that day. Very cool, BTW.

Except that the OP also thought pilot whales until seeing the photos. I'm sticking with false killer whales until I see for myself.

Except that the OP also thought pilot whales until seeing the photos. I'm sticking with false killer whales until I see for myself.
I would love to see the photos. My wife and I looked up both species and were sure they were pilot whales, but now...........would love to see photos. I admit we were so excited at the time we didn't exactly think to measure distance from blowhole to dorsal fin. Either way, it was a very cool experience for us!

Orcas do eat more than just seals. From Killer whale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some feed exclusively on fish, while others hunt marine mammals such as sea lions, seals, walruses and even large whales. Killer whales are regarded as apex predators, lacking natural predators and preying on even large sharks.
Wiki also says they have been seen in the Gulf of Mexico so it's possible. Not at all likely, but who knows? I'm sure a pod can feast on a Whale Shark and we know that they are in the area.

The do also resemble False Killer Whales and Pilot whales so without pics, who knows? :idk:

We were there in the second week of July and saw a pod of pilot whales. They swam with the boat close enough to reach out and touch, so it was a positive ID, confirmed by looking them up that day. Very cool, BTW.

The encounter I'm referring to occurred on thurs. 7/14.All the divers had been picked up after the second dive on Santa Rosa Shallows. They were headed back to the Presidente. Was this the same day that your group spotted the whales and how many whales were in the pod that you saw?

The encounter I'm referring to occurred on thurs. 7/14.All the divers had been picked up after the second dive on Santa Rosa Shallows. They were headed back to the Presidente. Was this the same day that your group spotted the whales and how many whales were in the pod that you saw?

I was on the same boat with jwilson05 and his wife. I posted about the pilot whales on Facebook - just checked my status and yep, it was July 14th. It was after our second dive (which was Cedral, so probably about the same time as the other group). We counted about five or so but it was hard to tell for sure.

Back
Top Bottom