Orcas around Utila today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I’d trade whale sharks for those guys anytime. Very cool!

Had no idea they were even in the Caribbean. That’s pretty cool

Had no idea they were even in the Caribbean. That’s pretty cool

Rob Davis from WSORC and I missed the dash about 22 years ago when almost-famous videographer Tim Blanton of CCV leapt into action and got in the water to film a couple of Orcas. A guest from TX named Becky got still images.

For a while, back then in 1998, a number of people thought they were “False Killer Whales”, but as experts viewing the films noted, they were the real deal. How you know that, I dunno.

Again, remember, Tim Blanton got in the water in front of their path. As they drew near, they sounded to 50’ passing under, then rose back up in avoidance. As to Tim? That boy ain’t right.

As @laurenceh infers, you don’t see this kind of thing by buying the 10 Dive Package or “sitting one out” at the bar.

Go dive, dive a lot, and then some more.

we had a similar experience at Darwins Arch during a safety stop a few years back, they passed below us. They were hunting hammerheads

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom