Orange Classic Scubapro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Someone I know is selling a scubapro orange classic bcd. It has an regulator integrated into the power inflator and it looks in good condition. He is selling it for $65 and won't budge on price. He says if we have an issue, we can return it. It inflates and I can breath out of the regulator. I spoke to some old salts who love this stuff recommends it, while other random people in the scubapro section think it is not a good idea. I am looking for a working usable bcd.

Thanks in advance!

Inflate it and see if it remains so overnight. A lot of older BC's seep air through the fabric itself as they decay. Remember, it could be between 30-40 years old. I like older stuff but some things I don't depend on to work 100 percent all the time. If you aren't weighted correctly and used to BC less diving an old jacket could pose problems.

Remember, from a vintage perspective, divers did not rely on BC's underwater. They were more a surface floatation device.

Ps. I have a SP stab jacket myself.

Is it an original Classic or the 40th anniversary edition - you can tell by "Anniversary" over the "S" - on the front. Even that one is from 2002 so should be checked carefully for leaks. This is the 40th anniversary model: http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/...612/30/1_da0e2fd6cf93ad8f69bcc4454bd5699c.jpg

If it's got an Air 2 on it, that's worth $65 all by itself. ScubaPro Air 2 Alternate Regulator/Inflator , Black/Gray at LeisurePro - note the older ones don't look exactly like this...

You're probably going to get some funny looks on the boat...:wink: I used to dive an vintage 81' model BC in the early 2000's and often a DM would comment on it. Mostly their concern was the last time I'd used/serviced it - they were hoping both were recently...

Have one that I bought in '83. Serviced sometime in late 90s due to seam leaks. Haven't used in years, but last time I checked (couple of months ago) still holds air. It was a great BC in it's day, but opted for SP Classic due to pockets. Flapping pockets on the original were pretty crappy. Be careful with the older Air - the were not as reliable as current Air 2s.

That's definitely the vintage model.

You're probably going to want to change the tank strap...

No, its not one of the 40th Anniversary models, its an original from at newest, the early-to-middle 1980's. Note the second generation Air2. Guts are the same as the new ones, but hard parts are scarce, and the hard ring that holds the diaphragm on the end is prone to age cracking (been there, done that).

As I said elsewhere, not at all worth what the asking price is.

I had one like that in the late 80's, very comfy, but the D rings could tear the fabric if you hang any heavy object on them: did that with a big dive light.

$65 is definitely too much; I bought a Classic sans the AIR2 off the 'Bay for $1.

Decided against it, he first said it was about 15 years old though it has to be much older than that. When I looked at it he said his son use to use it when he was a teenager and that his son is 35, so it is 20 years at least, I also looked into the regulator which is a gen 2 air2 and they quit making it in 89. So it is at least 25 years old and a friend of mine who is really into the old stuff, said I should pass on it. Thanks for your feedback!

Hostage,

A friend (an active NAUI instructor) of mine purchased one of these Scubapro Stabilizing Jackets (SSJ's)--looks exactly like the one in your picture--new in the early 1980's and uses it to this day! She dives it with the clip-on pockets removed for a cleaner profile.

I purchased my first SSJ (orange, having the first "taco-pocket" design) new a few years later (in 1987) with a new 2nd generation AIR II shown in your picture. Loved it. Sold it when I began diving dry in the early 1990's, as it was too small to accommodate my crushed neoprene drysuit and thick undergarments. Purchased a new black "classic" "finseal" SSJ (ca. 1993) of larger size, with a 3rd generation AIR II, to replace it. Still dive it. Still love it.

Actually, the orange SSJ probably has better hydrodynamics (than my black SSJ) since its edges are glued and taped *flush* with the jacket panels. (My black SSJ has edges that are glued and taped and sewn in a way that leaves a "standing" seam that is NOT flush with the jacket panels.)

I wish I could have kept my (smaller) orange SSJ for the times I'm diving in only a swimsuit or a 3/2 wetsuit. If your friend's orange SSJ has been kept out of chlorine water (Cl kills the neoprene waterproofing painted on the inside of the SSJ panels) and washed/rinsed/dried religiously inside and out after dive outings, then it probably would be a worthwhile purchase. These things had/have a deserved reputation for being nearly indestructible, and being easily repaired if holed!

Someone above suggested you should change out the tank band. I don't agree. Anyone who has used one of those Scubapro "super-cinch tank bands" (or whatever they are called) will attest to their simplicity and robustness. They're really quite solid!

The SSJ accommodates back-mounted doubles, if you're so inclined. (Early on, I wore double Al 80's and double HP 80's with mine, briefly.)

Also, the blow-molded, plastic backpack is easily separated from the jacket itself, so if you purchase an additional weightbelt buckle and about 10 ft of 2-inch nylon webbing, you can have a nice, simple backpack to use BC-less, old-school, with a steel 72, Al 80, or Al 63, or Al 50.

One other thing: If your friend's 2nd generation AIR II turns out to NOT be serviceable, simply replace it with a power inflator (either Scubapro's or a generic one). Generic PI's are really quite inexpensive new.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom