Question Options for OW Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Pilot777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Looking to get open water certified soon.
I primarily want to dive in warmer waters on trips abroad to places such as Florida/Australia/Red Sea/Canary Islands.
Obviously I can do a course in these locations.
Where I live (Scotland, cold water) there is an excellent dive centre.
If I go there, it will be using a drysuit.
Since I'm unlikely to do much diving here is it worth getting certified using a drysuit?
Thoughts?
Thanks

I'm biased since I love diving in cold water, but I would say GIVE IT A GO!

Pros:
- You might like it. Diving locally means you can dive more, for a lot less money
- Even if you want to travel, being able to practice to keep skills sharp locally is always a plus
- If you can dive in cold water with a drysuit, diving warm water in a wetsuit is EASY! The other way around is NOT!

Cons:
- Cost of renting/buying drysuit
- ???

If you have the money then drysuits are awesome even for warmish water. It’s not uncommon for a boat full of wetsuit divers to be huddled down and shivering during the boat tide back to shore in florida, while im still cozy in my drysuit :). To be fair i usually go to florida during the winter though.

Cold sucks.

Take a week and non-rev/jump seat somewhere nice and warm where you can knock out complete basic dive cert (OW and AOW) in one go and you're covered... Throw mask and booties - maybe a small reg set like MK11/C370 or APEKS XL4 - in your RON kit and you're good wherever the job takes you. I'm an admitted Shearwater fan, but I understand that Garmin makes an everyday watch that works as a dive computer too. Get the pressure transducer and you eliminate having to carry gauges.

A decent all-inclusive like AKR or Cocoview on Roatan or maybe a semi-inclusive like Buddy Dive or Cap'n Don's on Bonaire. Many other options out there, but those mentioned are kind of turn-key no-worries packages that I've expereinced. Do online eLearning beforehand. If you could do the pool work in a nice heated pool before the trip and get a referral from your local dive center for the open water part, it would maximize actual diving at destination. Probably easier if trainer is PADI/NAUI/SSI/etc for referrals since there are more of those agencies represented in remote locations?

That program would be 3, maybe 4 intensive days of scheduled training dives, but you would also end up with a few days of leisurely diving to round out the week and have 15-20 dives in the log. Important: include Nitrox cert with the training (one or two hours classroom - no dive required).

for what its worth.....training in a cold water environment is quite different than in warm water. if you receive quality training, you may find once you switch to warm water that it is a cake walk compared to diving cold.

for what its worth.....training in a cold water environment is quite different than in warm water. if you receive quality training, you may find once you switch to warm water that it is a cake walk compared to diving cold.
Point taken, but ...

Flying helicopters is harder than fixed-wing A/C, but I never, ever, ever want to get on a helicopter (they don't really fly), so why would I train in one if all I ever wanted to fly is fixed-wing AC?

(pendantic curve: "fixed-wing" does not imply that the wings were broken, just that they are fixed in place and don't move much within the flight envelope).

Thanks for replies so far.
There is some really good diving round here and I take on board the comments regarding maintaining skills. Currency is important, especially in pursuits that have the potential to kill you 🙈.
The price of a drysuit is scary though. I can always hire one from the local centre.
The other consideration is that courses abroad are about 50% of the cost of local, although i know local place is well regarded nationally.
Cheers

Thanks for replies so far.
There is some really good diving round here and I take on board the comments regarding maintaining skills. Currency is important, especially in pursuits that have the potential to kill you 🙈.
The price of a drysuit is scary though. I can always hire one from the local centre.
The other consideration is that courses abroad are about 50% of the cost of local, although i know local place is well regarded nationally.
Cheers
In addition to the cold, Scottish lakes have monsters in them. 🐉

If you are not sure you want to dive cold and local, do online followed by pool and check out dives in tropical/sub tropical location. Cheapest and easiest.
If you might want to do local, do in person class and pool work local, you will likely get something a bit more rigorous and above the standard, then get referral for tropic check out.
If you decide to go local do AOW at home, Drysuit-Wreck-Boat-Nav-Bouyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom