Options for latex wrist seal cut too large

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdmp

Contributor
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I recently had to cut the newly-installed latex wrist seals on my drysuit. My previous drysuit guy took measurements and would cut the seals for me so I never had the need to cut them before. The new seals came directly from DUI uncut without instructions ( heavy-duty latex seals ) so I learned quickly that they are measured differently from regular latex seals....(separate rant).

I think I cut one of the wrist seals too large judging by feel. I haven't dove the suit yet but it doesn't have that "snug" feel like the old ones did so I am worried.

My question - has anyone used a small "wrist band" of latex material before to place on your wrist that is snug so that your drysuit seal would fit against it directly instead of your skin? I'm thinking of taking another latex wrist seal and just cutting a strip from it. My old drysuit had neoprene seals and I would use a Bio seal around the neck and it helped to reduce leakage. I was told the Bio Seals break down latex seals so not to use them except with neoprene.

Has anyone done this before?

Electrical tape. Just give a wrap before each dive.

Buying a set of wrist seals is usually less than $30, maybe $45 if you buy the Viking HD seals.
A small can of glue, matching solvent, several paintbrushes, a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper, a roller and a glass bottle of the right diameter shouldn't add more than $15.
Now plan on spending around an hour in the garage with a dremel, and a bottle of Nitro solvent preparing the suit. I also at this stage start cutting rings off the seals untill they feel right, snug but not too tight.
Then sand the seal area on the rings with the sandpaper (just roughing the surpace slighty) degrease everything, prepare your bottle jig and start glueing. Don't believe the printed instructions, you need 3 coats of glue on everything and each coat should dry untill the glue is no longer sticky before adding another coat. Now roll the seal down over the suit, use the roller to press the sealing surfaces against eachother and admire your new perfectly mounted and sized seal. Then do the other arm. Give the seals a day of rest before you take the suit diving.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom