Options for Hawaiian Diving Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ISO recommendations for a Hawaiian Diving Vacation. My husband and I are spoiled as we typically travel to Sandals All-Inclusive Resorts where we can eat, drink and dive to our hearts content. We would like to have a similar experience in Hawaii but I can't seem to find anything comparable. It looks like I'll have to cobble together my own "package" or find a completely different destination for our next adventure. Since my husband was stationed in Hawaii for five years, we'd really like to try to make an affordable diving vacation there work. Any suggestions?

Sorry, can't help you with a diving AI in Hawaii, I dived in Maui and Oahu several times, always stayed in traditional hotels

Diving AIs I have stayed at and can vouch for include Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Brac Beach Resort, Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman and Turquoise Bay Roatan. These might give you some future choices that meet your requirements. Have you considered a liveaboard?

It's not our thing so I only know of a few AI options in Hawaii...

I dont know how affodable it will be but the Royal Lahaina resort on Maui can be bundled as an AI thru travel consolidators. It's a big hotel, sort of older but right on Ka'anapali Beach. There's shore dives nearby, shops include Tiny Bubbles - also in Ka'anapali nearby at the Embassy Suites plus the the dive boat operations a couple miles away in Lahaina - Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaii Rafting Adventures. I don't know of any packages that bundle diving though as all the shops are independent. I've gotten tanks at Lahaina and there's a Maui Dive Shop in Kahana Gateway mall that offers both a fill card and a dive site map. I'm pretty sure Tiny Bubbles has rentals also.

A lot more expensive is the Grand Wailea Resort south in Wailea. They have an on-site shore dive operation also but the boats all leave from the Kihei boat ramp a few miles north. It's a really nice property but expensive. My suggestions for diving there would be Mike Severns, B&B Scuba or Ed Robinson's Diving - all mostly will dive Molokini Crater a few miles offshore or along the coast there - there's some WW2 small wrecks among other options. Really good shore diving in that area - almost all the beaches are also shore dives, Polo, Ulua, Wailea then farther down to Makena Landing/5 Caves. Tanks at Maui Dreams Dive Co in Kihei or the Maui Dive Shop there. B&B also has rentals.

On the Big Island, the Hilton Waikoloa Resort has an AI option also IIRC. Both Waikoloa Divers and Kohala Coast Divers keep a boat nearby - one is moored in the bay there (not sure whose) but most of the shore diving will be a drive further north around Puako or considerably farther south of Kona - upwards of 45min to an hour drive. Pricier resort also - one option there is dolphin interaction.

Another attraction there would be the Volcanoes Nat'l Park which is currently erupting afaik. A solid hour+ drive south - plan on making it an all day trip. Swing by Akaka Falls if you go that direction on your return also. On the Big Island once you leave the coastline there's an almost immediate elevation change so even just driving across the island requires no-fly rules to be observed.

I personally wouldn't "AI" on either islannd, both have excellent restaurants in all price ranges and I personally find Ai to be limiting. To each his own...

Sorry, can't help you with a diving AI in Hawaii, I dived in Maui and Oahu several times, always stayed in traditional hotels

Diving AIs I have stayed at and can vouch for include Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Brac Beach Resort, Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman and Turquoise Bay Roatan. These might give you some future choices that meet your requirements. Have you considered a liveaboard?

Thanks for your feedback and insights. We'll check out the other locations you recommended. I will say that while I'm literally addicted to scubadiving, a Livaboard seems like "too" much diving for our tastes.

As @scubadada suggested, a liveaboard may be a good option in lieu of all inclusive - I did the Kona Agressor earlier this year (trip report) and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm addicted to diving but a liveaboard seems like "too much" diving for our tastes. I know that sounds funny but I have found my happy spot doing two-three dives max per day.

It's not our thing so I only know of a few AI options in Hawaii...

I dont know how affodable it will be but the Royal Lahaina resort on Maui can be bundled as an AI thru travel consolidators. It's a big hotel, sort of older but right on Ka'anapali Beach. There's shore dives nearby, shops include Tiny Bubbles - also in Ka'anapali nearby at the Embassy Suites plus the the dive boat operations a couple miles away in Lahaina - Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaii Rafting Adventures. I don't know of any packages that bundle diving though as all the shops are independent. I've gotten tanks at Lahaina and there's a Maui Dive Shop in Kahana Gateway mall that offers both a fill card and a dive site map. I'm pretty sure Tiny Bubbles has rentals also.

A lot more expensive is the Grand Wailea Resort south in Wailea. They have an on-site shore dive operation also but the boats all leave from the Kihei boat ramp a few miles north. It's a really nice property but expensive. My suggestions for diving there would be Mike Severns, B&B Scuba or Ed Robinson's Diving - all mostly will dive Molokini Crater a few miles offshore or along the coast there - there's some WW2 small wrecks among other options. Really good shore diving in that area - almost all the beaches are also shore dives, Polo, Ulua, Wailea then farther down to Makena Landing/5 Caves. Tanks at Maui Dreams Dive Co in Kihei or the Maui Dive Shop there. B&B also has rentals.

On the Big Island, the Hilton Waikoloa Resort has an AI option also IIRC. Both Waikoloa Divers and Kohala Coast Divers keep a boat nearby - one is moored in the bay there (not sure whose) but most of the shore diving will be a drive further north around Puako or considerably farther south of Kona - upwards of 45min to an hour drive. Pricier resort also - one option there is dolphin interaction.

Another attraction there would be the Volcanoes Nat'l Park which is currently erupting afaik. A solid hour+ drive south - plan on making it an all day trip. Swing by Akaka Falls if you go that direction on your return also. On the Big Island once you leave the coastline there's an almost immediate elevation change so even just driving across the island requires no-fly rules to be observed.

I personally wouldn't "AI" on either islannd, both have excellent restaurants in all price ranges and I personally find Ai to be limiting. To each his own...

Really good recommendations. I'll share this with my husband. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom