Question OPTIMA CM QUESTION :

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig haymaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Optima CM Questions :
Superlyte27 did a great job on his review, but after reading all the posts, I left a little confused on it’s total weight ! In his review 31 whopping pounds was stated. Then in post # 231 he said ready to dive he recalled about 22 pounds ! I need to go lighter than my current rig weighs is my reason for wanting to pin this down to a tee ! Also how does this frontal weight effect a bad lower back ?
Thanks for all replies- Craig H.

14.4lbs dry per Dive Rite
19.4lbs packed

22lbs seems reasonable for total rig weight WITHOUT the O2 bottle
Total rig weight will depend on how big of an O2 bottle you strap to it. AL13 will be about 10lbs so 31lbs grand total sounds about right in recommended configuration, but you can also butt mount the O2 bottle like the sidewinder guys do and split the weight front and back.

I'm not an ortho so can't comment on how it would affect your back but it would also depend on if you're sidemounting or backmounting your dilout

19.4lbs packed

Total rig weight will depend on how big of an O2 bottle you strap to it. AL13 will be about 10lbs so 31lbs grand total sounds about right in recommended configuration, but you can also butt mount the O2 bottle like the sidewinder guys do and split the weight front and back.

I'm not an ortho so can't comment on how it would affect your back but it would also depend on if you're sidemounting or backmounting your dilout
Thanks tbone1004 for this info.

No
Thanks tbone1004 for this info.
No problem. Quick hint though. If you’re trying to tag someone like the Cucumber make sure you put @ in front of their username. It will start polling the member list as soon as you start typing so it will find them and give them a notification. @Superlyte27

...you can also butt mount the O2 bottle like the sidewinder guys do and split the weight front and back...
just curios if you do this or do you keep it front mounted like the original design? thanks

just curios if you do this or do you keep it front mounted like the original design? thanks
I don't own a Choptima. I've put a few hours on it but did it in a stock unit. I would generally prefer the bottle up front where it's originally intended though as the butt mounted bottles can make your trim really wonky to the point of it may not actually be diveable in a wetsuit with the counterlungs up front and a bunch of weight in the back.

I don't own a Choptima. I've put a few hours on it but did it in a stock unit. I would generally prefer the bottle up front where it's originally intended though as the butt mounted bottles can make your trim really wonky to the point of it may not actually be diveable in a wetsuit with the counterlungs up front and a bunch of weight in the back.
Or if you want a really nice streamlined rig, run backmount LP50s with a 6cf suit bottle of oxygen mounted in a suit bottle strap on the side of your backplate and hang the chop on the front. It is awesome for shorter dives.

19.4lbs packed

What is the travel weight assuming you rent onsite the O2 bottle and buy onsite the absorbent?

I
What is the travel weight assuming you rent onsite the O2 bottle and buy onsite the absorbent?
have one fully rigged with sorb and o2 in my truck. Flying it to DR on Monday or Tuesday. I’ll try to weigh it tomorrow. My scale is at the hangar.

Back
Top Bottom