Opinions on thinsulate type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between DUI 200g and 400g weight thinsulate. There are other options, but the thinsulate seems preferable, at least to me.

For the foreseeable future, my drysuit diving will be the Channel Islands (55F-65F), Monterey (44F-55F), and the Florida caves (68F-72F). I don't foresee any long deco dives, but who knows?

I've polled several groups, without reaching any general consensus:
- DUI website recommends the 300 Polartec
- DUI rep recommends Actionwear plus vest, or possibly 200G
- RSD poll recommended 400G
- RSD archives strongly warn of overheating in 400G
- Prominent NE diveshop recommends 200G down to mid-40s, add vest below that.

I'm leaning toward the 200G and would add existing thin polypro underwear and polartec sweater as needed.

What do you recommend, and why?

I recomend both. The 200g down to 50 and below that the 400g.

If you want a cheap, $170, get the Bare Extreme and use it like the 200g. I did till I got the 400g. I also use PolyPro under the Bare.
LP sells the Bare...

I use 200g Bare underwear for everything, including ice diving. For really cold diving, I wear military weight poly pro undernieth and might throw in some heat packs. I had 400g stuff before and thought it was too warm for swimming.

I like the Bare.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I use 200g Bare underwear for everything, including ice diving. For really cold diving, I wear military weight poly pro undernieth and might throw in some heat packs. I had 400g stuff before and thought it was too warm for swimming.
Thanks, Mike. I'll look into the Bare, though I'm sort of locked into the DUI at this point.

When you say "military weight polypro", how thick is that? I have some extremely thin polypro, but suspect you mean something quite a bit thicker than that.

Sportsmans Guide also sells Poly Pro. I use it and some I bought at Wal-Mart. It's called Military weight also. Supposedly given out to military personell. Who knows. The military gives out toothpaste too. Haven't heard colgate brag about it yet. Kinda suprised they haven't. Woops make that Expedition weight......

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/show...em_id=39319&ticket=10688081&urlseq=1083926647

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showad.html?promo_code=WX1&item_id=54760&dc_id=53

Is the link. When they get it in it sells out pretty fast. Its 10.5 oz per sq yard while the stuff from Cabelas is 6.75 oz per sq yard.
The second link shows more about whats in stock. I also use the union suit and a top by itself. Kinda nice when it's not to cold.

The stuff from Sportsmans guide is still thin too. It isn't at all like a sweat shirt but it isn't like a regular set of insulated underwear either. Really soft on your skin and really absorbs the sweat.

Wal Mart sells 2 different weights. One is like a regular set of insulated underwear. The other is thicker stuff. They sell it as Expedition weight I think. It's for sale where the hunting clothes are.

I would go with that 10.5oz stuff if I had the option, even though I am thoroughly comfortable in my Cabelas brand. A little extra doesn't hurt.

Mike

The diving temperature around here ranges from 39 to 47 degrees. I've seen divers shivering in their DUI dry suit and 200G undergarments. My choice so far has been a 4 mil neoprene with poly pro and fleece. I rotate students, and will spend four hours out their without a chill. I'm diving this Saturday in a new DUI 200, all neoprene, with poly pro, wool long johns, and fleece. Noticing your link to the 6.5 poly pro, I ordered a set with 300 wt socks. The 10.5 oz link looked too thick and bulky. Thanks for the links!

I was in the water all day long in a CF 200 with 200 G Thinsulate (DUI, of course) and was toasty. Water temps ranged from 52-55. If you get cold easily, throw on the +5 vest, or even better, one of the Actionwear jumpsuits.

Just wondering Merlin. If you're worried about bulk, why use Fleece. I thought it was much bulkier than Thinsulate. And wool long johns? Isn't that a little itchy?

And the 10.5 oz doesn't seem much different than the 6.5 oz. I have both. It depends on how I want to be layered as to which I wear.

Diving conditions here range from 32 f to 85 f. The wonderful midwest.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom