opinions on the olympus stylus 1030

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
wife and I are looking for a replacement point and shoot camera. we also want to get a housing for it to take diving. we are by no means photographers by any stretch of the word. just a simple point and shoot is fine.

I really like the idea of having a freeze proof, dust proof, and water resistant camera with out a housing. even though we are in Atlanta we travel alot to very cold places with lots of snow so the freeze proof is really nice feature.

we found olympus stylus 1030 cameras on ebay from olympus that are reconditioned. seems like a really good deal. they have housing for them to 30 meters so when we take it diving that too would work.

I have seen several reviews for the 770sw but those aren't made any more. even though you can still get them the 1030sw looks like the next replacement.

how are they underwater? are the good cameras? are they really waterproof to 33feet? can it shoot close up as well as macro?

again I am a point a shoot type of person but would like to learn some more of the other features of the camera. is this a good one for that?

also I will probably get one of those universal strobes for it eventually.

thanks guys!

Jeanne likes hers.
I don't trust any "waterproof" camera without a housing diving because the dynamics of getting into and out of the water can raise point WP above one atmosphere. Best to keep it housed.

OTOH she has had no difficulty with it in a canoe or 'yack, or in rainstorms while hiking.

Jeanne likes hers.

OTOH she has had no difficulty with it in a canoe or 'yack, or in rainstorms while hiking.

this is what I am hoping for. I doubt I would ever take it diving with out the housing. but maybe snorkling?

the rainstorms while hiking is a plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom