opinions on school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you speaking from personal experience or just hearsay? I need to make this career change and DA is closest - if not there which schools have a better reputation? I'd appreciate your input.

SM

Trust him.

I started with the Navy. If this is a possibility for you; it's the way to go. You get experience and the diving is interesting, but sometimes extreme. If you elect to go the civilian route, consider Seneca College in Ontario. They have an excellent reputation and they are one of the few schools world-wide that actually teach you to do the job. This is the most important consideration for any employer.

If you don't go the Navy route, I'd also recommend that you get some land based job experience in either Welding or Rigging. If you have experience in the construction industry, you will be in a much better position to land a job. I use to be involved in hiring commercial divers and you wouldn't believe how many people have never been on a job site before applying. They don't know their way around. Everyone has to learn at some point, but it goes without saying that convincing the employer that you can actually do the job is the most important factor. In some cases the job may require relocation for a period of time. It's a matter of risk. No employer will take one on you if there is someone in-line whose background lowers it.

Divers Academy is a friggin joke. Sadly all the almost graduates call me looking for work, I tell them how it is, that Tamara especially sells a good pitch. I knew they were full of it but then again, I was in the Army and know when people are blowing smoke so I didnt buy into the whole hype of it. Honestly, all schools will hype it up to be this awesome industry, but the fact is it is a ROUGH way to make a living. No guaranteed pay, working job to job like any contractor and when the work dries up then what? out of a class of 20 I graduated with only 4 including me are still diving. All truth be told I am most likely taking my experiences running a dive company and looking into the corporate sector. Its fun at first, but believe me, when you are off Montauk NY, after a 6 hour drive from the Jersey Shore, loading a boat, trying to suit up after taking headers over the wheelhouse in a 30 ft boat thats WAY too small to work from, in 22 degree air and 38 degree water all to recover a clam dredge at 90 feet knowing that after im done I need to dress down in 8 ft swells, get to the dock, load back up, drive 6 hours home get some sleep then show up in Atlantic City by noon it gets VERY VERY old. Im not trying to crush your dreams but if you are the kind of person who is seeking adventure, steady pay, exotic locations look elsewhere. If you want steady pay , 401 k etc etc then look elsewhere because it is VERY rare that you will have the opportunity to stay with one company. Its like any contracting job. Heres a perspective. I am a seasoned diver and had a company call who shall remain nameless about a year long contract that wanted me to be a part of. GREAT RIGHT?!.. well, great if your willing to burn steel in the winter for 15 dollars an hour, thats right.. FIFTEEN dollars an hour. If i put in my hat pay and dry suit pay that equaled to another 10 dollars a day. So picture trying to support a family living 5 hours away in a hotel room for a year that YOU have to pay for since they dont offer housing allowance or Per Diem. Basically you would be breaking even if not losing money. Think long and hard about it. If you want you can even give me a shout, my mobile is 732.664.2979. Im not trying to be an ass but just dont want to see another person give up a good paying career to follow a dream that they think is one giant sky cake.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 12:11 PM ----------

Also keep in mind that ALOT of the jobs im running or diving for I am the youngest guy at 29. There is alot of old salts in the dive world that are pretty disgruntled so just imagine working with people like that non stop. Customers arent the best either. " What do you mean it will take you 12 hours to get 25 miles offshore to me?! and you want HOW MUCH?!?!"

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 12:13 PM ----------

As far as schools go, there is one in FL, one in LA and TX. All have their ups and downs but Divers Academy is just full of downs.

Diving Otter is correct, there are many disgruntled divers out there (many more than there are Divers who are totally satisfied). Like the military, Commercial Divers are prone to complain about everything. I have however met dissatisfied people in every occupation. I think that the cause of this is largely due to unfulfilled expectations. Some because of a lack of opportunity, their personal character, work ethic, or simply bad luck.

Like every industry, Diving is what you make it. Some people are successful, while others aren't. The work is demanding and the road ahead is never clear. There's no doubt that becoming a lawyer or physician would be a more secure choice if job security is what you seek. Regardless, there are some people who don't want that particular life style. So it largely depends upon what you want and your other options that are available to you. Your family situation is often a determining factor.

Divers Academy now has a PADI diver as one of their instructors. That should be enough to tell people to steer clear. On a side note, my upcoming dive on the St Lawrence river may very well be my last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom