Opinions on OxyCheq Expedition Carbon Monoxide analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have opinions on the Expedition CO analyzer from OxyCheq?

Expedition CO Analyzer w/ Alarm
I have one. Its probably 4 years old now, seems to be fine. Should probably get some bump gas and test it out.

What are you specifically wanting to know?

I asked in another thread but didn't get a response. I would love to know what the exact process is for testing a tank with the OxyCheq Expedition. Do I need a flow regulator? Do I just crack the valve and hold the Expedition up to it? For how long do I need to let the gas flow for a test? Etc. Trying to figure out if this is a good option for testing on the boat right before a dive.

Why not test when you gauge your tanks at the LDS? Seems a bit more stable environment than on the boat right before you jump in.
I asked in another thread but didn't get a response. I would love to know what the exact process is for testing a tank with the OxyCheq Expedition. Do I need a flow regulator? Do I just crack the valve and hold the Expedition up to it? For how long do I need to let the gas flow for a test? Etc. Trying to figure out if this is a good option for testing on the boat right before a dive.

there isn't much local diving in CO, my guess is @DeltaWardog is planning to use the analyzer on vacation where the tank is provided or refilled on the dive boat rather than on shore at a physical dive shop

planning to use the analyzer on vacation

You are correct! I do not dive locally or own tanks. I am looking to purchase an analyzer to test tanks provided by dive ops, and I typically do not have access to the tank until I'm picked up at the pier and am already en route to the dive site on the boat.

Ignore this native tropical diver :wink: forget sometimes the rest of the world works a bit differently.
You are correct! I do not dive locally or own tanks. I am looking to purchase an analyzer to test tanks provided by dive ops, and I typically do not have access to the tank until I'm picked up at the pier and am already en route to the dive site on the boat.

Since I couldn't find any answers here I contacted OxyCheq customer support and this is what they told me:

"It works just like our O2 analyzer. You can take a reading off the tank using the flow cap and placing it against the valve. The better method would be to use a BC Flow Restrictor so you do not over pressurize the sensor resulting in false readings.

Within 5 seconds you will know if you have bad gas and the alarm will sound."

So it sounds like a quick and easy test using supplied hardware (flow cap) but you'd want to use a flow restrictor to get fully accurate readings. I'm not even sure where to get a flow restrictor. But if I end up buying the Expedition I think I'll be ok with a trip just using the flow cap to see how it goes. It'll be 100% more CO testing than I've done on my other dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom