Opinions on helium testers wanted.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on the new breed of Oxygen-helium testers that are now out.The good-bad and ugly.

RUFUST:
I am looking for opinions on the new breed of Oxygen-helium testers that are now out.The good-bad and ugly.

I bought one of the Abyss Tek Check Helium Analyzers when I was at DEMA this year. I'm very pleased with it. It comes in a pelican case that is the same size as most 02 analyzers. It has a rechargeable battery and can also be used while the wall charger is plugged in. It gives you a simultaneous reading of both 02 and helium content, and they offered the best warranty of any of the units I looked at.

Not to mention I got a great price on it from Chris at DEMA.

I've cross checked it against other 02 analyzers and it's been just about dead on. I've also referenced the helium analyzer vs known gasses and it has also been dead on.

It's a great way of double checking your mix calculations in one compact unit.

Uncle Pug:
I've been using an Atomox for a couple of years for continuous blending. Works for me.

Same here...If I had to buy another one I'd get the Oxycheq version.

As the principle designer of the Abyss TekCheck concept I can tell you first hand after mixing trimix for more than 10 years the Abyss TekCheck just makes the job easier.

We started looking at bringing out a helium analyzer more than three years ago but the cost of the technology then was just prohibitive to bring to the streets. Then after years of researching companies who had the patents on the small helium sensors we were able to make a unit that we can put on the streets for end users in the $1000 range.

While some companies just have a helium only unit we opted for the small additional cost to include the oxygen analyzation module in one complete unit. We think it's a better way to go.

The really sweet part about using the Abyss TekCheck is that it is temperature has little effect on the helium analysis. So, regardless of what the gas temperature is you are always sure of the helium content. This is important for field mixing.

My first helium analyzer was a huge thermal conductivity unit made for industrial use that weighed in at almost 50 lbs and took 12 hours to warm up. Contrast that to the TekCheck that has instant on and ready to sample with the flick of a switch.

If you are using trimix, buying trimix, or selling trimix (or other helium based breathing mixtures) and are not analyzing both the helium and the oxygen then you are doing yourself or your customers a disservice. The cost is reasonable enough today to not take chances to mathematical mixing errors.

For those who would like a copy of the TekCheck User's Guide, just drop me an email off-board and I will be happy to email you one.

Warm regards,

Just got a shiny new Teledyne Mixchek. Very easy to use, one case with both He and O2 analysers, it does both gasses in one go. Really nice to be able to verify your work, especially when blending mixtures for deeper (300ft+)dives. It's just a little more peace of mind and a great way to deal with the fudge factor. I fashioned a little 2lpm restriction - just open a tank and within seconds, you'll get a perfect reading.

Hello, even though I know this posting is old I feel like I need to reply. My father was the owner of ATOMOX Inc. and passed away a number of years ago, I have recently gotten all of his old hardware and products and documentation. I have been combing through everything and decided I needed to reach out to anyone who purchased any of his products to see if they are still using them and or need them repaired or replaced. Please contact me if this rings a bell for you!

I got one of these Helium analyzers probably 20 years ago & it still works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom