Opinions on BigBlue AL1200WP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at picking up a light for use later this year on a trip to Caicos, and getting my deep & night cert via SSI. Found a combo pack that has the AL1200WP, an AL250, and a tank marker. Not really interested in the tank marker as I already have another one I'm happy with, but wanted the forum's opinion on the AL1200WP specifically. Not going to be doing a lot of night diving, but want something that will work when I want it, and something I can use when working towards my wreck diver cert.

I love BigBlue lights. I would never purchase that particular light, though. It's just not bright enough. That light has a wide beam and is only 1200 lumens. I have 2 9000 lumen BigBlue wide beam video lights that I carry with me. The AL1200NP (narrow beam) is a great backup light for cave diving.

Cut the rated lumens in half when comparing to most others lights. Bigblue uses emitter lumens not the out of light out of the front of the flashlight.

I have one of their 15,000 lumens video lights. I like it, but my need are specific and it meets those needs.

My local dive shop has the Sealife 1300 mini S listed, anyone have thoughts on that one? I like the idea of a wide beam over a narrow beam, and would like to support my local shop over just ordering online. That are also an aqualung dealer, so I'm assuming I could get one of those ordered as well.

I have the 1200WP-II and like it. As others have noted, it's a wide beam and not the brightest that Big Blue offers, but it works well for me. I really do not like overly bright lights, especially at night. Diving with someone with a bright light messes up my vision and I also think it chases away some shy critters. The 1200WP is very good in daylight for getting true color out of a scene you are close to, for example a coral head or an array of fish in a small area -- it really just pops the colors back where they should be. At night it provides a nice bubble of light to explore with. I will probably get a tighter light with a little more power at some point, but this will always be my primary light. BTW I use my light instead of a strobe for photos, it works great.

Looking at picking up a light for use later this year on a trip to Caicos, and getting my deep & night cert via SSI. Found a combo pack that has the AL1200WP, an AL250, and a tank marker. Not really interested in the tank marker as I already have another one I'm happy with, but wanted the forum's opinion on the AL1200WP specifically. Not going to be doing a lot of night diving, but want something that will work when I want it, and something I can use when working towards my wreck diver cert.
I have one and love it. Plenty bright and the 250 as redundant backup will get you back to the boat/shore if you absolutely need it. I find that in Caribbean waters I run it on the lowest setting....perfect.

Picked up a smaller light for now, the Sea Flare Mini. Going to check it out this weekend in the quarry, then I'll see about getting a bigger light if i feel I need more power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom