Opinions needed for Auckland, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
Going on a 2 week vacation with the (extended) family to New Zealand in March 2002. :D

I am the only person in this group that is scuba certified, so this isn't a dive vacation per say. :(

On one of the days we all split up to do our own thing, I was hoping to get in a couple of dives in Auckland, because since I'm there, why not? However, it was impressed upon us MOST severely by the instructor in my recent OW cert class that we are certified to dive only in conditions similar to what we experienced in Hawaii, and if we wanted to dive deeper or in much different conditions, additional training was needed. Am hoping to take and complete my AOW before 3/02, but am not sure I will be able to.

I am a "wet behind the ears" newbie - in more ways than one :D - have only my 4 cert dives under my belt so far. Hope to have in more before 3/02, but the number will still probably be less than 10.

What are the diving conditions like in Auckland?
Is the diving too different, such that I should not dive?
Any particular recommendations for tour companies?

And in the event diving should be ok for me, do these tour outfits rent out all dive gear needed - mask, fins, snorkel included?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hi Chepar,

You might try checking out the 157 results for diving resources in New Zealand that I found at Scuba Directory to start out.

I am sure someone from the area will be along shortly to give you some definitive recommendations.

Good Luck,

Chepar,
We have a member of this board from New Zealand. I recently emailed back and forth with him. If you send me your personal email address I will send it on to him, so you two can' talk'. His name is Greg.
He is taking his instructor training now, and has been too busy to post on here. But I'm sure he'll answer your email.
:sunny:

Natasha....

If you have Gassy's email, tell him we need him back on the board more often. My ears need cheering!

when you chat with the GAS MAN let him know we have gassed off and need some more of his high powered, potent gas. :D

Chepar,

Did your instructor explain why you should limit your diving experiences to conditions similar to what you received your cert in. I don't understand, I have never heard of a limited certification so I would think as long as you did dives within your limits and for tougher conditions you did a dive with someone of greater experience (i.e. an instructor or DM) that could truly assist in case of an emergency that you would be fine. Just curious.

For you more knowledgeable people that are pros, is there such a cert? I know I have read a lot on different boards slamming people that were certified at resorts, and especially the resort and agency but I have never read any restrictions, just comments stating that diving in some locales may be far riskier simply because the diver is not accustomed to the tougher conditions.
Any thoughts?

Gasman emailed me yesterday. I already wrote him back, but I'll send another one just to tell him you two want him back. I do too.
Nothing like the smell of ...the Gasman. Ha!
:sunny:

I believe the purpose of my instructor's comments regarding being able to dive in like conditions to what we were certified in was more for cautionary purposes.

Like he told us, there would be no "scuba police" :D lurking around should we decide to go below 60 feet or in conditions much different than Hawaii (I guess he meant warm water).

He probably wanted to make sure we wouldn't get into a situation or conditions that we couldn't handle.

However, any diving I do in NZ would be through a local dive charter/operation that would have a DM leading us, so I think I should be ok.

Chepar, that is what I was thinking but you just never know the way things are constantly changing. Conditions are different around the world and it is smart to do your first few dives in an unfamiliar site within someone who has "local" experience.

I feel fortunate getting my cert here in socal because they say if you can dive these waters you can dive anywhere (of course maintaining that you stay within your limits). I had the chance to dive Maui and that was great, a lot less stress than here and I am looking forward to going back there as well as a few other locations around the country (except the Texasa Swamps) as well as the Carib to experience different diving conditions.

Thanks for clearing that up and I apologize if it sounded harsh or that I was slamming on you, not my intention, just trying to clarify.

Hey Socaldiver:

No offense taken whatsoever. I appreciate any and all responses, because as almost everyone knows more about diving than I currently do, I am constantly learning. :)

One thing I really like about this board is that everyone is so willing to share their knowledge and experience with those that do not have as much, and the sharing is all in the spirit of having fun diving as well as doing it safely.

Thanks for all the input!

I can feel my ears burning all the way down in Auckland.

Greetings Chepar from 'The Thunder from Down under!'
You have chosen wisely young grasshopper.....Auckland has some good diving but a couple of hours north is one of the best dive spots IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!
The Poor Knights Islands.If you look on the net for them you will find a number of sites with pictures.If you are stuck for a dive partner then you can give me a buzz and i can whisk you away in my station wagon for a dive or 2. I am AI/divemaster in Naui and am doing my Master scuba diving trainer(instructor with specialties) in Padi,so I think I may be useful to you.
Why Auckland? Family or friends?
If you can dive in NZ then you can dive anywhere in the world.
We have the largest per capita diving population in the world and any training you want will be world class.
All the charter operators and dive operations have hire gear and the temp will be warm at that time of the year.About 24-27 degrees C.Water temp about 20-22. We all dive with 5mm suits but there are plenty of hire suits.You will find our dive shops very large and very well equipped,all with their own pools and in large staff.The one I am training with in Auckland is known as DiveHQ and they can be found on the web by that name.It's in Greenlane and has 17 instructors on staff,plus certified assistants and 2 course directors.Busy,Busy,busy.
Any way that I can help then buzz me a gsomers36@hotmail.com
I'm busy so it may take a few days to get back to you.
Cheers Big Ears,
There can be only one,
The Gasman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom