Opinions Backscatter MW-4300 video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious about this as well. Was looking at getting a pair of these for my next setup as an upgrade from 2x Bigblue 2600's.

Following

Curious about this as well. Was looking at getting a pair of these for my next setup as an upgrade from 2x Bigblue 2600's.

I actually have a set of BigBlue 4200's and find that they are great for spraying light everywhere, but they are too much for anything macro. I'm considering streamlining my rig down to one light (gasp! no!). Yeah, I know that 2 is the way to go, but less crap hanging around while I dive is so appealing!

I have one and I love it. I was leaving for Cozumel the week they were introduced. I called Backscatter and they rushed one to me so I could take it on the trip. It has both a video light and a macro light. The video light provides a fairly wide beam, while the macro light is much more narrow. Changing from video to macro requires only the push of a button, so its quick to change. I have an Olympus TG-6 so switching from macro to wide is easy, if you have a housing that requires port changes that quick change may not matter to you. The red light is there for night dives also. The snoot and diffuser are the same one used on the Backscatter strobe but I don't have those items so I cannot tell you about them.

Thanks so much for your reply! Can you comment on the following:

How is the build quality?
How long does it take to charge the batteries?
How was the runtime on the light?

Thanks for your feedback!

The build quality is excellent, my opinion. It is fairly heavy with the batteries but it puts out a lot of light f the money. I've never run the batteries all the way down so I cannot tell you the charge time. I do not leave the light on all the time, only when I need it. It has a standby mode so you can turn the light off but then wake it up quickly with the push of a button. I know that doesn't answer your question, hope it helps though.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I'll pick one up before going to the Galapagos in December.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I'll pick one up before going to the Galapagos in December.

Not sure if you have already gotten the 4300 from Backscatter but they went on sale today for $399.00.

I have one that I use for macro and close ups.

The shoot makes it even better. While it has 3 strength modes, I found I had to purchase the diffuser for when the subject is on sand or on rock. Because even on the lowest setting, it blows out on reflective/light subjects.

Build quality is excellent other than the o rings supplied.
There's virtually no resistance threading/unthreading the cap from body.
I think it needed thicker o rings.

It takes about 3 to 4.5 hours. It's not a quick charge charger.

It'll go 3 dives before running out.
Around fifteen minutes of total on time per dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom