Opinions about Glacier Bay 22'-26' for Diving Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Everytime I ask a question around here, I get really good scoop from people who know what they are talking about....So, I am wanting to hear opinions about Glacier Bay motor cats for diving and going interisland in Hawaii. Does anyone know anything about the warranty? Is there another comprable boat that is less expensive? I notice not many used ones for sale, even on the California market. Does this mean people are happy with them and they sell before advertised? What is a ball park figure for maintenance? Thanks for the help. I MEAN 22-26 feet, typo.

When they still had dive charters on Midway Island, they ran a pair of 26' Glacier Bays from Oahu over to Midway 1300+ miles. Running outboards interisland will run you through some serious gas though.
Glacier Bays hold their resale value extremely well and the owners I've met were all pleased with their boats.
Guys used to run all the time from Waianae over to Kauai in their Force with the diesel Volvo I/Os when I was still there. Thos babies just burned a gallon per hour trolling - way more fuel efficient than even 4-strokes O/Bs. Honolulu Fire Rescue used a smaller Force with oatboards for reascues at sea and body recovery. Nice boats made on the Big Island.
The biggest cost of maintenance is the engines, so buy new ones with as long a warranty as you can get. The beauty of those Volvos was that Juju down in Chinatown at Lanikila marine could work on them if you could get your boat through South King Street and down to his shop.
A 22 is a little small for charters - pop for a 26'. Also, take a look at the Twin Vee 36 Center Console. Prpbably cost as much as a 26' Glacier bay - 10 more feet. Cheaper construciton, but this would make an unreal 6-pack dive boat.
http://www.twinvee.net/Boat Models/36_Center_Console.htm

Tom,

Thanks for the excellent information! I dove yesterday with some captains that told me about a Force for sale that they thought was a great buy. It has twin Suzikis at 120 hours. This boat is not for charters, just personal use and the budget is 60-70K which makes going for the 26' Glacier Bay a little out of range. I saw a Twin-V on the water yesterday and will look at that. Thanks again so much.

One more question, since shipping costs may not be an issue, where in the country would be the best market to shop for this style (motor cat 22-26) boat? Fort Lauderdale, SoCal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom