Opinion?? Drysuit Class at LDS or "Demo Day" at local dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnnSul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'd like to learn more about drysuit diving. Fortunately, I have lots of options, but unfortunately, I can't make up my mind.

The White drysuit demo is this weekend, and there is a DUI demo next weekend. According to the factory reps, divemasters will be there to teach us, suit us up and dive with us.

Should I ALSO invest about $100, time and gas in a drysuit course? Not sure if it's PADI or SSI- it's 2 hours.

Otherwise, I was in Dutch Springs last weekend with my well fitting 5mm Pinnacle Merino, Waterproof hood, decent gloves and crappy zipper boots, and was warm (except for the soles of my f:coffee:eet)

My opinion, if you can spring for it, is to do the drysuit course. I just got one and opted not to do the course right away, but I have a ton of VERY knowledgeable drysuit diving friends who are helping me along slowly and a nice shallow beach dive to practice in. When I am able, I'm going to take the course to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I was in the same situation. I decided to take the class and it turned out to be a very wise decision due to the following:

1. Drysuit diving is a skill that has t be learnt. Prior to diving dry I thought Id wear it and jump into the drink. I am glad that I did not do that. I may not have died on the first dive but it would not be very pleasurable either.

2. The class helped me decide which dry suit I would get. How is neoprene different from bi lam and tri lam. When it finally came to the DS purchase, I knew what to buy.

3. I took my class in a whites fusion. i realized that I personally hated the suit which has gotten some very good reviews. If that was the only drysuit in the world I would have stuck to wetsuits and tropical diving.

4. I was able to rent more drysuits and do a few dives just to see which one feels the best.

My suggestion is to take the course first, then dive a couple of rental suits before paying for you own :)

All the best my friend -

Sinbad

I did the DUI day two years ago. You do not exactly learn to dive a dry suit with any skill in those demos, but you do begin to get an idea on the mechanics, and the benefits.

Last year I picked up a dry suit, and now have a few dives under my belt with it, thanks to help and advice of my DNY friends at Dutch Springs. And my GUE primer with Bob Sherwood, in that suit.

I am currently taking a dry suit class, because I want to greatly increase my skill and confidence in diving in this gear, and in maintaining it. The class is giving me that.

I took the class only because I wanted to Dive dry during my OW class and onl way I could was to take the class. It's a one Pool session followed by 1 ow Dive and some book work. In all honesty it was a good thing to get in a pool with it to help familiarize yourself with it. Also if you want the card or want to be able to rent you will need the class (Someshops will look this past) But if it was up to me I would have skipped the class and went and dove with someone who has a drysuit. If your interested in what skill's could be had by the book and read then dive. A buddy of mine was at same crossroads, I lent him my book and we both went to a pool and I gave him some pointers "Not much to it" Then we did about 4 OW dives together. Everything went great. I believe the only 2 skills where if your heading in a feet upward ascent tuck and kick like all hell to get back upward or kick down.

It's one of those things I didn't feel it was needed or really worth the 100.00 "each" (Which is pretty expensive for the type of class) I would have been just as happy as picking up the book reading and diving. If your going to go out to demo day's just go and try it out if you feel you couldn't dive the suit safely for some reason take the class but I don't think this will be the situation.

Last edited:
I sure wish I had taken some sort of training, the first time I encountered a BCD :shakehead: My friend (younger brother) who was certified on the newer style gear gave me a few simple tips and pointers, and away we went!

To someone trained before they were developed, the whole concept seemd pretty simple.
I mean, what could go wrong? Hold the hose up in your left hand and purge as you ascend. Pretty dam simple process.

Later, as I was healing I learned there is holding the hose up in you left hand and purging, and then there is holding your hose way up above you in your left hand, and purging :shakehead:

Just a little bit of education in a pool first would have prevented that 74 ft to the surface rocket ride :idk:

That is the day that I became a believer in periodic retraining, even if it is not required, anytime one is away from diving for any length of time, or working with significantly different gear than they are used to.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying not to train. I think training is the most important part of scuba "Good Training is" But I will say there is some course's that I personally am leary of. I had the oppertunity to train with one of the best shops For Training in NJ "The Scuba Connection". They are very very thorough they have there own indoor heated pool so there is never a rush to finish a class or skill, They run there class's regardless if one person signs up or the have a full class. There instructors are fantastic very, patient and helpful. During our OW class Our pool time was scheduled from either 5/6-9PM Out of the 4 nights I believe the earliest we left was 10 typically it closer till 11. Again this is because they had there own facility and My G/F who was nervous about the whole thing. We sat there untill we had the skill's down as good as any OW students could. Thats how they represent themselves. When you go out you know what your doing. I did do my Drysuit course with them, I am not saying it didn't have any good points because I said it was nice getting into the pool and practicing. But at the same time if you have friends (Competant friends) that dive dry I don't feel you would be at any loss from reading the book and goin to a pool to get familiar with the suit and doing couple OW dives with friends that can help along the way.

My 2 cents: Go to the demos (both) without taking the class. I've been to the DUI one a couple times, and it was extremely well run, and geared torwards the "never been in a drysuit" diver. They don't teach you everything you need to know, but you should get enough info to feel comfortable diving around in relatively benign conditions they will have at demo days.

Then, if you are purchasing the drysuit new, try and coax your LDS into a free class as part of the purchase. Considering you are going to spend $2K+ with them, they should be willing to throw in a $100 class, since there's no real expense to them.

If you are purchasing a used suit, either pay for a class or find someone willing to mentor you. Another good source of information is the DUI drysuit owners manual that you can download from the DUI site. It covers a ton of info on drysuit care, donning/doffing, emergency situations and storage. Even if you don't have a DUI suit, there's a lot of good general info.

John

A drysuit is a significant investment. You can try different dry suits on demo days, but in my case (the Chicago area) I think only two manufacturers run demo days and because of my work travel schedule I couldn't make those dates. I took the dry suit certification course, and with that card in my hand I was able to rent a DUI suit from one shop and a Whites suit from another shop for some Lake Michigan wreck dives. In the end I decided that I liked both, but maybe the Whites a bit more and it was a bit cheaper and from a shop a bit closer so I am now the happy owner of a Whites Fusion Bullet.

Uncontrolled ascents are a risk with poorly trained drysuit divers, so I think the course is quite worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom