Opening your eyes with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took cert classes in contacts and have never dove without them for 33 years. First soft lenses and now RGP's. I just closed my eyes to take my mask off and put it on. If I ever have to find it I'll open my eyes but till then I'll close them. If I lose my contacts I'm really blind. I sometimes lose one in the mask during a dive and just deal with it till I am back on the boat. So far I have always found them in the mask afterwards, but one did get blown away in the wind after I found it.

While infection is not common the risk is real and the consequences can be very serious. It’s not recommended to even wear contacts in the shower though I think most of us do, so prolonged saltwater exposure is even more concerning. Daily disposables are a good choice but if thats not an option, as in my case, a prolonged soak as soon as possible (24 hours is the recommendation) in a cleaning solution is an alternative. I admit I am less conscientious then I should be and just do the usual overnight soak.

I should probably get me some of those.

Yes! They're life-changing. In a small but positive way. Try several brands or models because there can be a huge difference in quality and personal fit.

I've washed out contacts 3 times over the years.

A squint is no problem if the water is clean. Otherwise, there are bad infection risks. I have some perminent scaring from silt under the lens and another from just a bad infection. Lost 3 weeks of diving from it. A half dozen other times with minor infections . It's not worth the risk.

So important! I try to remember that the cost of daily lenses is <$2 each (for my pretty high quality ones), and any time a contact lens feels iffy it's better to switch it out than take the risk. I keep spares in my car, dive bag, gym bag, computer bag... you get the idea.

Definitely recommend squinting if you have to do it.

I've opened my eyes plenty of times in the pool and sometimes I'll have a contact that feels like it's about to dislodge. Close my eye to keep it from falling out and get it adjusted right on the surface

Definitely keep spare contacts hamdy when you go diving.

Do yourself a favor and consider laser eye surgery. It will greatly improve your quality of life (not only for diving but definitely including it).
The only thing I regret about it was that I haven't done it earlier.

Do yourself a favor and consider laser eye surgery. It will greatly improve your quality of life (not only for diving but definitely including it).
The only thing I regret about it was that I haven't done it earlier.

I’ve been mulling over it for 20 years...finally decided I was too afraid of dry eye forever. Now I also have presbyopia...*sigh*

I'd lost a couple but mostly, after removing mask upon boarding boat, it turned out that one or both were lodged somewhere up under my eyelid.

Eventually had lasix and that was nice until my eyes changed

I'd also agree, get the daily wear - that way if you do lose one or a pair, you just have to get back to wherever your spare's are.

Not daily wear, daily "disposable". 1 per per day.

Whether a contact lens falls out when you open your eyes underwater depends on

- Corneal curvature (steeper means flatter, looser fit)
- Lens base curve (lower number means tighter fit)
- Lens diameter (higher number means larger lens and the less chance of it coming out from under the eyelids
- Firmness or flaccidity of eyelids - firmer lids hold the contact lens more securely and vice versa of course

Test it for yourself in a pool with a pair of contacts you're about to replace.

Never ever sleep with contacts following immersion in a body of water. Unless you are ok with developing an Acanthoamoeba infection that will probably damn near blind you.

I can open my eyes with contacts in, haven’t lost one yet but I avoid it as much as possible. Also my prescription is weak enough that if I lose one during a dive it’s an inconvenience, not something that would affect my safety. I can still read my computer, compass, etc.

As far as the dangers of infection and trauma go, I’ve been getting both monthly’s and 1 day contacts. I’ve worn 2 week or monthly’s for a long time without any problem, but now I’m getting 1 day contacts as well that I wear when I’m diving or camping. I carry a few extras so that if I do have to open my eyes I can throw out the contacts after the dive and not have to worry about having dirt or bacteria trapped under them.

I considered switching to the 1 day contacts but they bother me more in the evenings and I felt guilty about the extra packaging. But it sure is nice and easier to just throw them out each day when I’m camping and starting fresh the next day.

Back
Top Bottom