Opening Pelagic Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had and older "hockey puck" computer that failed after 400+ dives. About 200 dives there started to have condensation/fogging on the lens after a ride in a hot car. This would disappear during the dive and when cold. Talking to a US Divers Tech about it apparently this is not uncommon for these various brands of then Pelagic, now Oceanic, computers. The "average" diver will never get to this amount of dives.

After it died close inspection showed the back of the case was cracking around the edges. I took it apart. The back has some indents like some watch backs and I could make do with some tools to unscrew it. The insides were corroded of course from the collection of very small leaks over time.

Now my current back-up is doing the same thing (fogging when warm). I figure if I can get it apart, clean and grease the seals, and dry it out it should be fine again. But I can't get this back off.

It looks to be the same construction. The back should just be screwed on. Are they glued or otherwise sealed? Am I not using enough force? So far I haven't gotten too brutal since it is still working and I don't want to wreck it.

Did my damaged one come apart because the case was cracked and the seal was broken. That unit was pretty easy to unscrew.

FWIW-I have tried to dry it out by removing the battery and leaving it in a dessicant jar for over a week. Doesn't make any difference. I think the compartment is somewhat sealed from the rest of the unit, though I doubt it's waterproof (I've heard some models of computers are).

Fritz

from what i know they are sealed either using a o ring or more ofte than not good old fashioned cheap 100% pure siliicone aka rtv sealant. hope this helps, p.s. im no cpu tech i just like to take things apart and pt them back together.
Garrett

PM me, I may be able to help, I need to wait until Monday however.

Best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom