Open Water Diver Southeast Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vincenz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello! I would like to do the Open Water Diver in South East Asia in December. I am looking for a spot that also has nice beaches and offers cheap accommodation. What places can you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Koh Tao aka "the rock" is perhaps the most famous for cheap accommodation and dive courses in the region. You can get a bungalow 1-2 minutes walk away from Sairee Beach for $200/month. A/C, shorter rental terms, etc drive up the price, of course. Dive centers will often offer free room for the course duration. The diving itself is only OK due to crowded waters, but very safe.

Phuket is a more upmarket option in terms of entertainment etc, but it's quite urbanized, and the main boat pier is on the other side from the best beaches.

Panglao, Alona Beach in the Philippines offers better diving, a clean beach, and also very reasonable prices. Also takes long to get to, through Manila and Tagbilaran airport.

I'm sure there's a dozen other places. The best one depends on how long you have. If it's 2+ weeks, to do OW and AOW, and some fun diving, the above work well. Otherwise there are easier-to-reach places.

I did mine in Koh Phi Phi, its a very small island (It has no roads or cars, you can walk the whole thing in about 25 minutes) but is full of dive clubs and great beaches, not far from there you also have Koh Tao which is a great place.

I would stay away from phuket, there's nothing in the close vicinity and if you will go there they will end up taking you on a boat to the area's around Koh Phi Phi etc

There are a million of other places as well, might help if you give us some rough estimate to which exact country you would like to visit

Back
Top Bottom