Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonrh98

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I just dived once in my life and wanna do my diving licenses now! Can u recommend me some good and cheap diving spots/schools around the east cost/ Cairns?

Cheers
Simon

I dive eastern US, so I know squat about Cairns. Sorry.

But you might consider spreading out your diving courses a little. Whether to take OW and AOW back-to-back or wait a bit, is an ancient discussion, with good reasons both ways.

My view is, get about 25 dives after OW, then take AOW. Then at about 50, take Rescue Diver.

However you do it, welcome to the sport.

I am based in Cairns, and there are a few options,. To be honest the cheapest way is to do the minimum dives required over day trips, but I don't feel you really gain a lot of experience and miss out on diving the GBR.

So for the Open Water its done over 4 days with 2 days pool and class room then 2 days trips. It may be cheaper if you do the theory at home (E-Learning) and then just do pool and open water dives here in Cairns. Alternatively you can do theory AND pool at home and just do the Open Water dives here over 2 day trips e.g. called a referral.

Look at the different OW options here in Cairns. Cheapest - look at Budget 4 day course on Sea Quest (around AUD$600) or Fitzroy Island 1 day and Outer Reef the other for open water (around AUD$495). Both full courses.

Advanced Course is best done on an overnight trip (remember you can combine OW and ADV on the same trip over 6 days).

2 days 1 night is quickest you can do the Advanced and includes the 5 training dives (inc night) plus couple of fun dives which are important for gaining experience and actually seeing the Reef.

Its too much to write it all here but the links should help. Happy to answer more detail if you want to PM me. Some good specials on at the moment too, so when were you looking to do this?

Back
Top Bottom