Open heel fins & currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon

Reaction score
Do most divers that use the open-heel style of fin wear booties with them, even in warm environments? It seems that they are not quite as secure on the foot when used barefoot. Would hate to lose one to a stiff current. Perhaps this is dumb question, but is it a no-no to wear these barefoot? or is it just a matter of fit? thanks!

FWIW, I always use open heeled fins and I always wear booties in them. If you buy fins big enough to handle booties, they will be too loose barefoot.

I also like to have booties on when I take my fins off. On a boat ladder, they are more secure and if you are shore diving, you are less likely to step on something unfortunate and do yourself damage.

Just my $.02 worth

Open heel fins are meant to be worn with booties. You will want to protect your feet from the fin rubbing against it as well as protecting your feet when you have the fins off.

Make sure your booties fit well then try on fins. Both should fit well, not rub and be comfortable.

Open heeled fins are a compromise solution...they allow a dive shop to stock a relatively small number of fins ( that the shop has to pay for ahead of time) and still be able to fit most divers--closer to a one size or 2 size fits all concept. Beyond this, they are a "real" solution for divers who absolutely MUST be able to walk on sharp rocky surfaces, just prior to getting in the water, meaning they need dive boots which they can walk with, to go into the fins...unfortunately, there is a huge waste of power transfer from the diver's leg, to the fin, in this type of a solution... Imagine a marathon runner cutting the heel off of his $300 running shoes, and using a strap to hold them on :)

If you are diving in warm water, off of a boat, you want a full foot fin, and neoprene sock style dive booties. Fins with good full fin pockets will fit only a narrow range of foot sizes, and will actually "fit" the diver's foot, allowing good transfer of power. Some full foot fins accomplish this far better than others.

Price will often hint at this--don't expect $30 snorkel fins to be worth anything but garbage can lining....and most freedive fins starting at $120, will have excellent foot pockets.....and then, there are the top freediving fins, models like the C4 Mustang, that actually has a left and right foot pocket, very much like running shoes, and spectacular power transfer ( they cost more than most scubaboard members would spend, due to the carbon fiber blades--they actually are awesome for scuba, but instead of giant striding in tot he water, you have to dive head first, or, you can back flop in--you can't over flex the blade on the high end carbon fiber fins)....

There are also traditional---non-freedivng fins with full foot pockets, that are good fins, but none are as good as freediivng fins!

Regards,
Dan Volker

p.s.

Oh, and there is Force Fin, with an entirely different approach to the foot / leg power transfer, and they are actually good also---see Force Fin as good, split fin as bad :)

I would repeat what Dan said, but I couldn't say it as well. In warm water, there is no joy like a good full-foot fin. I use Mares Quattros, which are close to a freediving fin in size but more flexible. The neoprene socks are an unnecessary distraction.

Don't forget they are also a real solution for those who dive cold water and have to wear heavy booties for exposure protection or are using drysuits.

Lemon, you CAN wear them barefoot but they will probably rub all the skin off of your toes. Look at your foot as you take a step while wearing shoes. See the spot where the toe of the shoe flexes downward as your heel comes off the ground? That's where the fins rub the skin off your toes and that flex spot of your shoes will rub the raw meat with every step. This I know from experience :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom