OOA at very end of safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So whenever folks report that they went OOA, I always think "how hard is it to monitor your gas, you goof."

Well, here is my goof report.

Not much to report. Dive in the Carmel CA area. Max depth 71', 46 minute dive. One buddy called 500 psi. I had about 700 psi. So I chased down lead buddy about 15 feet ahead of us, and we began ascent. Since I had plenty of gas I didn't check it again, until about 2 min into safety stop, at 15 feet. Gauge was right at the 0.

So I decided to swim up. Couldn't really tell if it was harder to breath, but thought maybe it was. At least I managed it well, as I reached the surface I exhaled into my BC as a surge washed over me. Kicked up again, inhaled surface air and exhaled into BC again, and now fully positive.

The lesson learned for me is complacency and constant monitoring of gauge.

What also got me is that so many of my local shore dives end very shallow, so the ascent is very short. Often I don't even do a safety stop, since the end of the dive is essentially a swimming safety stop. So I'm in the habit of not considering the needs of a true, full ascent and safety stop, at least for local shore dives

This dives ascent was from 50' feet, and I did a slow long kicking ascent. I wanted to be negative bc I am planning on dropping 2 lbs and wanted to ensure I could. So I was more concerned with monitoring my buoyancy than my gas.

I could probably stand to improve my buoyancy skills. I tend to ascend negative, by kicking and hold the stop while lightly kicking. One buddy did it all with buoyancy, which is optimal.

Chasing the lead buddy may have used up some gas too, although it wasn't a long or vigorous swim.

Probably main lesson learned is more monitoring of gas.

Last edited:
Can you provide a little more information?
  1. What size tank were you using?
  2. Was 41 minutes your total dive time, or was it the time you started your ascent?
  3. Did you start your ascent from 71 feet?
  4. Do you know how long your ascent was?

What happen to buddy diving? My first reaction is to reach to my buddy and ask to share his yellow-hose octopus to me and finish the remaining 1-2 minutes of safety stop.

Just curious. Did you have to blow into your BC to inflate it? Did you try the inflate button first?

So whenever folks report that they went OOA, I always think "how hard is it to monitor your gas, you goof."
Your calm headedness saved the day... but good on you to know it was indeed a goof.

Can you provide a little more information?
  1. What size tank were you using
Steel hp 100
  1. Was 41 minutes your total dive time, or was it the time you started your ascent?
46 min total dive time
  1. Did you start your ascent from 71 feet?
Ascent from 45-55 feet. Most of the dive between 45 & 60 feet
  1. Do you know how long your ascent was?
Estimate 1 and a half minutes

Just curious. Did you have to blow into your BC to inflate it? Did you try the inflate button first?

I didn't try to inflate. Stupid, but I didn't want to drain the tank too much, and i figured i would be able to orally inflate easily and, if all else failed, drop weight

In my limited experience the DM wants the divers back on the boat with 500 psi minimum. For shore diving I would assume to do the same to provide a margin of safety. Perhaps the ascent was started too late?

SPG's are not perfectly accurate. At 300 you might have 100, you might have 500. Starting with 700 does not leave a big margin if something happens. Chasing your buddy for a "minute" is something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom