Ontario Dive Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tcarr53

Reaction score
Without starting a trash and slash thread I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Ontario dive industry. I just returned to Ontario after a short overseas stint and am being lead to believe that there is a very big down turn in the industry nation wide. Is the market saturated? or is it economics? Have heard from several sourses that scuba shops could be falling like fleas over the next several months, bad management or bad operators? What are your opinions? Any way glad to be back to the home of the best fresh water diving in the world.

Hello

Its very difficult to say were the market is going, in Toronto two dive shops have closed down last year only to see the opening of two new shops this year . It realy is and up and down business. I think some peaple get into opening dive shops because they've had bad experiences with other dive scuba shops and they feel they can do better. With US Divers selling scuba gear like Mask Fins and Snorkels at Cosco every summer I can see why some shops have closed down.

Siebe Gorman

I would imagine it's a combination of things including the impact of 9/11 but it would most likely take an economic forecaster to figure it out and that I am not. But judging by the reception I got at a few stores I recently visited about courses some of them for sure deserve what they get, some stores forget we are the customers with the cash to spend and they better wakeup and understand that we do not have to stand for sub par service, there are operators out there who will bend over backwards to earn our business.

Business is business. Some will come, some will go! Support the businesses that you feel provide you with the best service.

On that note, I suggest that we try to take a look at the positive side of diving, given the recent events of the past 24hrs.

We have a great sport and we have the best fresh water diving in the world at our front door. Let us be thankful for that!

Who could ask for more?

:clapping:

amen bud!

personally, I like the size of the industry at this time, the wrecks aren't that crowded, and there is still new horizons to explore :wink:

First problem is the perception of the potential market. I lost count of the number of people that ask me what there is to see in a lake or quarry. Face it- this is primarily a warm water sport. Diving in Canada (or Michigan) ain't cheap. Our gear costs more, it's cold. Best bet is make a point of getting just one person you know to try scuba this year. Can some one from Windsor PM me with a list of dive shops and operators in the area? I have in laws in Windsor and Colchester and have never seen a LDS in my travels to your side of the border.

The cream rises to the top and the crap falls to the bottom, the good ones will stay the shaddy ones will go maybe it's a cycle the industry is going through and good stores and instructors will make for a healthy dive industry but it would be nice to see everyone involved work together to make it grow rather than beating each other up and hurting the industry in the processs.
If stores don't like the competition the solution is easy GET OUT!

Siebe Gorman once bubbled...
Hello

Its very difficult to say were the market is going, in Toronto two dive shops have closed down last year only to see the opening of two new shops this year . It realy is and up and down business. I think some peaple get into opening dive shops because they've had bad experiences with other dive scuba shops and they feel they can do better. With US Divers selling scuba gear like Mask Fins and Snorkels at Cosco every summer I can see why some shops have closed down.

Siebe Gorman

Actually, the reason I went to my LDS in the first place is because I saw the gear sale at COSCO and didn't trust them.. So I went to find a good, reliable store to get some advice.. When I signed up for my OW course they warned me that diving is addictive.. I thought they were kidding :) Never would have guessed that its this much fun..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom