Onondaga wreck, Watch Hill Reef, Westerly, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2069 10-21-17 Onondaga wreck, Watch Hill Reef, Westerly, RI

Capt. Phil, Angelo, and I left the CT boat ramp in the Phaz II @1000 the air was clear, sunny, and warm.
After a 30min ride we arrived at Watch Hill Reef. It was a very busy day, with boats of all sizes anchored or drifting all over the wreck site. We found the mooring and started to approach it but a large fishing party ship drifted over it before we got to tie to it. I made a mental note to only ascend at the boat! We tied in at the second attempt and settled in to wait for the slack and splash time.

Angelo and I splashed on time, descended down the anchor line; and secured it to a large section of the wreck. Capt. Phil forgot his fins so he was watching bubbles and boats, poor Capt. Phil.
The water surface temp was 65F, @Max Depth of 51FSW temp was 57F, visibility was a solid 10-15' with small particles suspended in the water. A slight current was felt but easy to swim against. There was a lot of life, fish of all sizes and species were everywhere. I was glad I brought my camera, there were plenty of subjects. After 20 mins I decided Capt. Phil should enjoy this too so I gave Angelo the signal I was going up and began a slow ascent to end with a total dive time of 26 mins. It was a nice dive but too short. I ate lunch while Capt. Phil used my fins to shot a big white chinner! Angelo got 3 nice togs also. All in all as close to a perfect dive/day as one can find!

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

Last edited:
Nice report...I remember wanting to dive that as a kid in the late 70's....I lived in Conn and Watch hill was the closest drive

Nice report...I remember wanting to dive that as a kid in the late 70's....I lived in Conn and Watch hill was the closest drive

I usually dive it once a year. Lots of fish most of the time more in the spring and fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom