Online storage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bear with me.....I'm not familiar with what's available.

I would like to store some of my better pics online for sharing here and it other places. But, I'm shooting film, not digital. If I shoot prints I can scan, if I should slides my buddy can scan for me and could upload.

Is there a site I can do this? If so, please tell me where and $$$??

TIA!

But it's not free. Scuba Shots on Allenhost is who I use. For about 10¢ a day, or less, I get a reliable host with hassle free connection, 300MB of storage with a huge transfer allowance. In other words my site doesn't shut down when the traffic gets heavy. It has a great album structure, easy to use and maintain, and most importantly it allows deep embedding of photos so they will show up in your posts. Most of the free hosting sites do not allow this any longer.

Go to my photo albums to see an example. Keep in mind you can customize them to suit yourself. On the link I gave you, click on Contacts and send Larry an email. He'll get back with you with the details.

You could also try http://www.ipowerweb.com/. For $7.95 a month you get a domain name and 800mb of space. I host my site there, and have had no issues. Their support is very good, and the package includes lots of other stuff if you want to host more than just pics there.

Would also recommend Express Thumbnail Creator http://www.express-soft.com/etc/. This is a really good bit of software for creating websites from a lot of pictures.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Diver Lori once bubbled...

I would like to store some of my better pics online for sharing here and it other places. But, I'm shooting film, not digital. If I shoot prints I can scan, if I should slides my buddy can scan for me and could upload.

Kodak's website is www.ofoto.com . They will send you 3 free film mailers to start with, and they charge $3.95/roll for film developing & placement of the photos on-line. They'll send you back the negatives. I haven't used their film processing service, but I've been very happy with the quality of the prints I've been sent after uploading digital pics to the site. They have a lot of info in their help screens if you want to look into it further, and it's free to register.

Jim

http://www.photoaccess.com

There's no storage limit, you can organize into albums, you can send out guest links to your albums and all they want is for you to buy $20 worth of stuff (prints of your pics or merchandise of your pics).....I'm going to do a calendar for my Dad with my diving shots.

Peace,
Cathie

Diver Lori once bubbled...

TIA!

Who's your ISP?

The reason I ask is because many ISP's include some free web storage as part of their basic package, and because you're already paying for your ISP, this is "free" and thus worth checking into first.

Generally, these ISP freebies are only 5-10MB of storage, but once you cut a picture down for on-screen viewing and compress it in JPEG format, its only going to be a ~25KB file or thereabouts. As such, 5-10MB is enough for 100-200 images.

Probably sufficient for what you want, or at least want to start out. Check your ISP's homepage and FAQ for the "how to's".

Thus said, what I generally find to be the biggest obstacle to getting images online is getting the original film image digitized.

Any process that is one-at-a-time and "manual" (eg, lay print on scanner, etc) will eat up your free time like something you won't believe...particularly if you have something like Photoshop and you tweak/refine each scan. I'd recommend that you budget at least 15 minutes per image when you're starting out.

If you're thinking about finding ways to automate this process, writing Photoshop macro's to tweak color balances on UW images is a productivity tool. Another is automated scanning. The two options here are to pay the lab to do it while they're devloping your film, or to buy a scanner that supports bulk feeding.

For bulk scanning at home with slide film, the cheapest tool that gets the job done is the Nikon CoolScan 4000 with the 50-slide bulk feeder, and this little peripheral retails for...

(Um, please sit down)

...$1000 for the 35mm film scanner and another $500 for the bulk feeder.

It also requires your PC/Mac have a "Firewire" I/O port, but that's a negligible cost relative to the above.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom