Online Sources for dive gear in India?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluegillchow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not actually planning to purchase stuff, but I have a bit of an unusual situation...

My wife and I will be moving to Bangalore sometime soon-ish, likely early 2021. Her company is moving us, and the shippers need an inventory of stuff we're taking, with replacement values for insurance purposes. I am supposed to supply replacement value in USD, but as if purchased in India (the idea being that if something gets damaged in shipment, I would need to replace it when we arrive).

We'll be taking all of our dive gear, and I figured the easiest way to do this would be via the web, but am unsure where to search. Anyone have a recommendation for an online shop or two that would, theoretically, be able to deliver replacement dive gear in India? Not much on amazon.in that I could find.

Worst case, I'll send an e-mail to the Apeks/Aqualung shop in Bangalore and see if they are willing to help out. It'll get me in the ballpark for sure.

Thanks in advance!

You will need to start with the brand and then find someone who sells on-line. Bear in mind that the duty on dive gear is probably quite high and this would need to be factored into the replacement value.

You might want to try one of the regional forums to see if you can find someone who has actually imported gear to Bangalore. Also take some detailed pics of your gear in the event this is not done by the shipping company. It could boil down to your word vs theirs on makes and models etc and their value. Original receipts are handy too.

You might also want to find out whether you are entitled to a portion of your effects being shipped by air vs sea. If the former you are likely to see your gear in a reasonable period of time. Someone in your wife's company should be able to provide some insight and advice.

Lastly, if they are new and $$$ you could also look at sending your regs in advance by Fedex which would probably be faster and more secure that regular shipping.

Yeah, that's who I'll e-mail if I can't figure out a DIY way to get the information I need. Enough of my kit has AquaLung/Apeks analogs that I should be able to get some good comps from them if they're willing to help.

Wife's firm has allotted us a 20' shipping container, so everything will go in there (we're not moving the whole household, so we should have plenty of room). I'm really not too worried about it; we don't have any diving planned for the first few months we'll be there, so if there are delays, no big deal. Worst case, insurance company pays for some new stuff. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom